Channel Tunnel Vs Ferries - your views (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
As Harry Hill would say...

I like ferries and I like the Channel Tunnel.

But what's best?

There's only one way to find out...FIGHT!

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Whichever's cheapest at the time!

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Ferries win

You get a chance to rest for an hour or more.

You get an hour or more to get used the the idea of actually going abroad.

Train wins

I've never heard that awful scrape of motorhome on tarmac as you get on the train.

Dogs travel on sofas laps or bed.

You can lay on the bed and read a magazine.

You can use your own facilities i.e. no queuing for a cup of tea.

Its quick.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Ferry.
You cant get a full English with a nice sea view in the tunnel.

Yes the views can be nice on the ferry - no so much in rough seas or on early or late ferries.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Ferries win

You get a chance to rest for an hour or more.

You get an hour or more to get used the the idea of actually going abroad.

Train wins

I've never heard that awful scrape of motorhome on tarmac as you get on the train.

Dogs travel on sofas laps or bed.

You can lay on the bed and read a magazine.

You can use your own facilities i.e. no queuing for a cup of tea.

Its quick.

Agree with all that plus another pro for the tunnel, if somebody is a bad sailor you don't need to worry about crossing conditions.

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
In a car its the train every time for sheer speed. But although the RV is diesel powered it has LPG for the heating etc so is it correct that I cant use the train with the RV ?? So in that case it has to be the boat. Rob

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I think some stress about ease of access when joining the train.

Ever since finding myself on a country lane going down a steep gradient with big granite rocks either side less than an inch away form the van. I've never had a problem with tight spaces:Blush:

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
In a car its the train every time for sheer speed. But although the RV is diesel powered it has LPG for the heating etc so is it correct that I cant use the train with the RV ?? So in that case it has to be the boat. Rob

LPG tanks/bottles have to be under a certain size see here

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Is the tunnel ever cheaper?

Nope!

We usually go LD, Newhaven-Dieppe ... and 20% off for being old geyser...

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Living down in the SW it takes a extra 3 hours to drive to dover for Eurotunnel then extra time to drive south again in France-

so- it has to be a ferry every time for us from Portsmouth/Plymouth :thumb:

I must try the Eurotunnel once though ,for the experience.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

No, they check the bottles are shut off before boarding...

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Nope!

We usually go LD, Newhaven-Dieppe ... and 20% off for being old geyser...

I do like this crossing - but the times could be improved if they ran two boats

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
They have both gt advantages. On a lovely sunny day sitting on deck steaming across the English Channel with a cold beer can be hard to beat. The same as turning up at Midnight and driving straight on to the train and sitting with a mug of coffee and a sandwich in your own van whilst you put your Sterling and change in the safe and refill your wallet/purse with Euros

The frequency of the Tunnel can be good some times when running late, knowing that if we miss one, another one will be along in a minute:roflmto::roflmto:

Also whilst the Tunnel some times is delayed the ferries are far more to be effected by poor weather.

I think on balance if I lived in the East I would probably always favour the Tunnel but as I live in the West I tend to use to use the Ferries

Eddie

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cant afford to shop at Tesco,so no clubcard. Cant afford the extortionate prices they charge at the tunnel without Tesco vouchers. So its DFDS every time, Dover-Dunkirk if travelling north and Dover-Calais when travelling south.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
TUNNEL EVERY TIME - especially as we are always travelling with the dogs. It's quick, we can stay with them and the doggy facilities before boarding at Eurotunnel are great. Also I get very sea sick - not sure about the dogs but wouldn't want to risk it.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Living down in the SW it takes a extra 3 hours to drive to dover for Eurotunnel then extra time to drive south again in France-

so- it has to be a ferry every time for us from Portsmouth/Plymouth :thumb:

I must try the Eurotunnel once though ,for the experience.

Yes anyone living within easy distance of Plymouth, Torquay and Portsmouth does have a plethora of options available to them.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
We used to use the Ferries and Hovercraft (remember them?) - until the day we left home, 220 miles from Dover, in fine bright weather only to find a force 10 gale blowing in the Channel when we arrived at the Port.

Nothing was leaving or arriving at Dover Port for the foreseeable future and we were stranded dockside.

We were only going to France for a weekend break and the chances of getting over the Channel for the next day or two were negligible.

A quick phone call to Eurotunnel and we were booked on the Train and arrived only a couple of hours after our original debarkation had we been able to go by the Ferry.

Since then we've gone by Eurotunnel at least 4 or 5 times a year with very little problems most of the time.

Since we've taken the dog, five years and counting, the Tunnel has been well worth the extra cost.

Only a 35 minute journey with him staying with us, in the car or the Motorhome, and neither him or us getting stressed about the smooth quiet crossing rather than a longer Ferry crossing that can often be bumpy and noisy on the Car deck.

We often have problems with the length of our journey time down to Folkestone or Dover

Although every one of the 220 miles are on Motorways there have been - due to congestion, roadworks, Dartford crossing, accidents and comfort breaks – variations with a fastest time of 3 and three-quarter hours and a maximum time of 8 hours.

We just don't know how long the journey time will be and Eurotunnel's reasonably flexible regulations allow us to be put on an earlier Train if we arrive at the Terminal early and a later Train if we are delayed for whatever reason.

Missing a booked Ferry by just a few minutes can result in a many hour wait before being allowed on the next Ferry – and that's presuming the Ferries aren't fully booked.

I'm not trying to sell or advertise Eurotunnel but their service suits us and we will continue to use them on a regular basis – warts and all!

:france::france::france:

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
We often have problems with the length of our journey time down to Folkestone or Dover

Although every one of the 220 miles are on Motorways there have been - due to congestion, roadworks, Dartford crossing, accidents and comfort breaks – variations with a fastest time of 3 and three-quarter hours and a maximum time of 8 hours.

We just don't know how long the journey time will be

We're a similar distance from the port and several occasions I've found the journey very difficult. The "easy" option is to travel at night but I'm not a badger so prefer to sleep! Being able to get on pretty much any train within a window is a big advantage for us both.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I've done the train I find it a bit soulless..The ferry on the other hand is part of your holiday/tour so I would say FERRY all the time you can see The UK and The French coast at the same time..it's all part of the fun..

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Train for us, reasons much as other posters have said, Tesco, dog with us etc. Another plus factor for us, is Cite De Europe, which Weekenders Bob & Val introduced us to. Pitch up there outward and return. Great selection of French food & wines at Carrefour or Auchan a few miles away, and its only two mins from the tunnel terminal :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
On a cost for cost basis , ferry for us . Keeping an eye open for their every so often deals , get crossings with DFDS Dover- Dunkirk at around the £50 return mark . Example being , our next trip . Unless I"m doing something wrong while searching , then tunnel = £161 for best deal on our travel days . Ferry £49 return ( using a promotion deal ) same days . Far too much of a differential to ignore . Thats a fair few beers , meals or aires fees which can be bought with the difference in costs .

Comfort basis , have never used the tunnel when using MH , so really cant comment . Apart from saying , yes it would be nice to stay in the MH for the crossing . Also the bonus of the weather being irrelevant for crossing .However , its good to get in to one of the lounges on the ferry and relax for a couple of hours after our 2 hour drive to get to the terminal . Then reach France feeling rested and relaxed .

Convenience basis , it has to be the tunnel due to crossing frequency . Ferry wise , we have turned up early and been offered next crossing at no extra cost , so a bit of a bonus there .

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just checked fares for a trip to UK in March ... Newhaven/Dieppe - £63.20 return... that'll do nicely. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back