LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having looked high and low with no success am turning to funsters to help find a Mercedes bonnet cover. Its the one fitted to all the older Mercedes chassis such as the older Sclass Hymers. They are normally brown in colour but am not particularly bothered what colour it is. They are made from what looks like simulated leather and are quilted. Its more of a sound deadening device than anything.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Get some of this or similiar

http://www.efoam.co.uk/indexm.html

Acoustic Foam Custom Cut to Size
Link Removed Link Removed We cut convoluted foam sheets (egg crate pattern) to your custom sizes with a thickness of 40mm rise, in charcoal grey colour. Optionally this foam is also available flat, without egg-crate pattern. Manufactured from High quality Acoustic Foam to exacting British standards in Compliance with UL94 HF1 Clasification.Also Complies with the requirements of Schedule 1, Part 1, The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Amended Regulations 1989. Designed to control the acoustics and reverberation characteristics of recording studios, our acoustic foam will greatly assist in reducing reverberation, reflections and flutter echoes. Can be installed using our spray adhesive.

Peter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Peter. I have used that stuff in the past and its very effective. Not really suitable for this job though as the engine cover is visible inside the motorhome. Its to cover the engine cover, if that makes sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi snowbird, yes i know what your looking for, as we did the same when we were renovating our Mercedes cabin, we went to a car and motor cycle seat recoverers and ask them to make one for us, in brown quilted material a fantastic job they done, then we went to our local motor spare's shop and bought some sound deadening stick on plates after warming them up , shaped them to the engine cover job done , these day's you can even hear a pin drop whilst driving and no engine noise, and looks real nice hope this helps you, regards Alf.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
oops made a mistake,its meant to say shaped the plates to the inside of the engine cover, Sorry:whatthe:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thats the thing Alf. Do you know if these covers were an optional extra from Mercedes or were they fitted by the motorhome converter. Have seen them fitted on several vans I have looked at in Germany, but we in the UK did not seem to catch on to the early Merc vans when they were new and its only in recent years that the older Merc based vans have become available here. Therefore by this time the covers have either been discarded or worn out. My van is now 23 years old so I don't know if it had a cover or not originally.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Been thinking for a while now (Yeh I know, Brain huuurts:cry:) about getting a similar thing for our Ducatto, I've seen em on VWs and Pugs, to stop the bonnet being chipped by flying stones,

but as we are seriously thing of changing to a narrower van, spect it will never happen to this van:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I know what you are looking for Dave.. it goes over the 'dog kennel' .. not outside..

I would look in fabric shops, especially those that sell remnants.. If you have a sewing machine this would be fairly easy to make..

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Our 1986 MB608 had the original soundproofing, a foam/felt type stuff on the underside, but it was getting a bit flaky round the edges from the cover being removed/replaced for engine maintenance over the years. This was enough to increse the decibel levels. (I was going to replace it with the foam shown above but ended up using thick carpet moulded over the outer side of the casing. It made a huge difference to the noise - the new owner's happy with the noise level and still hasn't changed it in 4 years...)

:Smile:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thats the thing Jim. It fits over the "dog kennel". The inside of the dog kennel is covered in some form of high density foam and this is still in good condition, but the cover am looking for fits over the top of the plastic engine cover and in my opinion finishes it off aestheticly, also serves a double purpose and keeps engine noise to a minimum. Have looked on German websites but to no avail. Its at times like this I wish I was in Morocco as I could have had one made up in whatever colour leather I wanted.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I am battling a bit to visualise what you guys are talking about. Can someone put up some pictures so I can see? :Blush:

Is it possible to put a cover over the engine then to drown out some of the noise? My engine is very loud sounding in the cab - mind you I've gone from driving a 2009 diesel van to a 1991 Motorhome, so I suppose there would be a difference in noise volume! ::bigsmile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
The old 508/608 vans and derivatives had very stubby noses and main engine access was by removing a moulded cover inside the cab. Bit like the old Bedfords.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am battling a bit to visualise what you guys are talking about. Can someone put up some pictures so I can see? :Blush:

Is it possible to put a cover over the engine then to drown out some of the noise? My engine is very loud sounding in the cab - mind you I've gone from driving a 2009 diesel van to a 1991 Motorhome, so I suppose there would be a difference in noise volume! ::bigsmile:

Best I can find.. this one is in an RV .. the carpeted box between the chairs is covering the engine.. looks a bit like a dog kennel ..

P1010043.JPG

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have found a photo of the genuine article.

Attachments

• Dog Kennel.JPG
    Dog Kennel.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 32

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Have found a photo of the genuine article.

HI DAVE, your picture is the same dash & engine cover,as our's the cover and sound deadning, cost around 30 pound your money over here, iam sure a seat cover refurbishers will be able to do this job for you or try a upholstery shop,if you get stuck let me know,and i will see what i can do this end also another thought try those company's who make spare wheel covers, best of luck in your hunt,Alf

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Dave, have you tried your M/B Commercial dealer?
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, Dave, have you tried your M/B Commercial dealer?
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

I never really thought of trying the Merc dealers as am not sure if they were a Merc part or something the coachbuilder fitted. Am in the process of ringing round a few coach trimmers to see what they come up with.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thanks for the pictures - it has all become clear! :Doh:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun