Protecting your Motorhome when dogs are aboard??? (1 Viewer)

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Hi,

My girlfriend Claire has two little dogs. Lahsi Apsi, bipsy bopsy, Arso Popsy or something like that. Can never remember. I like them, I really do. Mother and daughter, 9 and 7 kilo's apiece. Nice. Fluffy, cute etc.......No reeeeeally, I do like them.........

Thing is, we plan on going away for a couple of months and of course we have to take the dags. I'm still getting used to having company in a van so the dags are another thing completely. Claire is very good with them and cares for them in every way. She's a Veterinary Nurse also. They have at her home dug a few holes in the plaster in the kitchen here and there and I'm informed this is some kind of 'abandonment' frustration. You can see where I'm going with this can't you. Nice 'new to me' van which cost a good few coin and thoughts of wandering off to a restaurant without them in tow will leave me wondering if they'll manage to dig themselves out through the scratch free, genuine synthetic wood veneer. We do have a collapsable doggy box which both fit in easily but they tend to fight now and again when left too long in it.

What to do? Now I have two problems to ruminate about while picking at my meal and looking at my watch - People trying to break in and the dags trying to break out!!

I thought about buying some kind of sticky backed plastic to cover the areas at risk but I think the adhesive will damage the furniture over time and may not come off at all. Very think sheets of acrylic velcro'd onto the areas is another idea.

Creating a 'U' shaped acrylic enclosure, open at the top and front to place in the Alcove Bed as their holding pen with a view is one idea. Made high enough, they couldn't climb over it to attack the windows as each outside noise drove them crazy and I'm hoping the height will mean they will not jump down. They have very short legs!!

What do you do? or am I being waaay too cautious?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Mmmmm - are they acclimatised to travelling in a vehicle, any vehicle? and you do both realise whilst trundling along, they have to actually be firmly tethered? so if they were in eg a cage, the cage would need to be tethered, otherwise the cage complete with the dog(s) could potentially become a missile. Don't think an open topped 'run' is sufficient, unless dogs are on leashes attached to the van somehow, in the 'run'.

But no doubt a million dog owners will be along in a minute!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Our dog travels well, is not allowed on any of the seats or bed, and he behaves while we are out for a few hours.

How about a collapsible padded cell:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
We have a 14 month old labrador and are very fortunate that she hasn't damaged anything at all, either at home or in the camper so we don't have a problem - not that it helps you very much. Could you try to accustom them to the "doggy box/crate" with favourite toys in the house for increasing periods before you travel. It should reinforce the idea that the separation is not permanent and help to overcome the separation anxiety, or are they well behaved enough to take with you if you go out.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
given the size of the van...something like this maybe?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/folding_dog_kennels/226044

we have to small ish dogs, and they have cages for when we are out and at night at home so they are used to being in them, infact they seem to like them!!

Weve got lightweight ones which fold down flat - plus when they are up they fit in the footwells which is a bonus!!

Sorry - just realised you've already got one of these...:Doh:

Last edited:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We have a large padded crate for the dogs to travel in which folds up and lives under the van when not in use, similar to this one:

Broken Link Removed

At mealtimes and at night they occupy the front seats of the 'van. I have made a cover that fits over the backs of the seats (forward facing) which creates a 'wall' which they can't get over or round.

As for damage to furnishing etc, I consider that's one of the small prices you have to pay for having them come along :Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We do have a cage at home which the dog sees as his refuge and lives in it. The door is rarley closed.

If the grand kids are about and he want peace he goes to his cage. Rule is, he is not allowed to be disturbed in his cage.

The term cage sounds worse than it is. I guess its down to how they react.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,

My girlfriend Claire has two little dogs. Lahsi Apsi, bipsy bopsy, Arso Popsy or something like that. Can never remember. I like them, I really do. Mother and daughter, 9 and 7 kilo's apiece. Nice. Fluffy, cute etc.......No reeeeeally, I do like them.........

Thing is, we plan on going away for a couple of months and of course we have to take the dags. I'm still getting used to having company in a van so the dags are another thing completely. Claire is very good with them and cares for them in every way. She's a Veterinary Nurse also. They have at her home dug a few holes in the plaster in the kitchen here and there and I'm informed this is some kind of 'abandonment' frustration. You can see where I'm going with this can't you. Nice 'new to me' van which cost a good few coin and thoughts of wandering off to a restaurant without them in tow will leave me wondering if they'll manage to dig themselves out through the scratch free, genuine synthetic wood veneer. We do have a collapsable doggy box which both fit in easily but they tend to fight now and again when left too long in it.

What to do? Now I have two problems to ruminate about while picking at my meal and looking at my watch - People trying to break in and the dags trying to break out!!

I thought about buying some kind of sticky backed plastic to cover the areas at risk but I think the adhesive will damage the furniture over time and may not come off at all. Very think sheets of acrylic velcro'd onto the areas is another idea.

Creating a 'U' shaped acrylic enclosure, open at the top and front to place in the Alcove Bed as their holding pen with a view is one idea. Made high enough, they couldn't climb over it to attack the windows as each outside noise drove them crazy and I'm hoping the height will mean they will not jump down. They have very short legs!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't envy you one little bit Cocoro, may I wish you the very best of luck in your quest ( and a happy outcome ), :thumb:

:drink:

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Fabric crate

Our youngest is prone to scratching doors so we had the same dilemma with our new Motorhome. I bought the largest fabric dog crate that would fit in the space and both dogs go in that when we cannot take them with us. For travelling they re tied with a long leash just out of reach of the drivers cab.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
We do have a cage at home which the dog sees as his refuge and lives in it. The door is rarley closed.

If the grand kids are about and he want peace he goes to his cage. Rule is, he is not allowed to be disturbed in his cage.

The term cage sounds worse than it is. I guess its down to how they react.

Our 2 Pugs live in their cage. Covered around with a sheet, it's their den, spend a lot of time in there through choice. Tethered in van when moving, never had a problem leaving them they just settle down and sleep.
Come to think of it they sleep a lot.
Brought them home at 12 weeks Old just as my wife was spending 3 months in hospital, as i was spending each night on a matress next to the hospital bed they had to be left a lot, prob why they are used to it.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This is going to be a learning/training period on both sides.

Use a crate, but only sparingly. The goal is to have the dogs loose in the van and be able to trust them loose.
First off crate them little and often using treats (titbits) to teach them that crating is enjoyable. Increase the length of crating and go out as well. Its a softly softly approach, if the dogs object then slacken off until they regain confidence.
I'm new to crating as I have a 9 month lab cross who, if inclined, could demolish the interior of the van in 20 minutes. She was crate trained from 8 weeks and now never objects to the crate only being left alone so I am working on that.
A good idea is loads of exercise so the dogs are just too knackered to get into mischief. A fast and furious playtime just before you leave them may also work.
Be prepare to devote loadsa time to the dogs, but just think of all the exercise you'll be getting as well. :Smile:

OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Our youngest is prone to scratching doors so we had the same dilemma with our new Motorhome. I bought the largest fabric dog crate that would fit in the space and both dogs go in that when we cannot take them with us. For travelling they re tied with a long leash just out of reach of the drivers cab.

Thanks for all the replies!

We do have a folding, fabric cage in which the dogs have travelled in my car. I got the feeling they didn't like it sooo much resulting in the daughter getting a sore tail.....apparently. Mom is a killer! Claire seems to think it was a one off and that they have travelled regularly in a steel cage in her previous car. We shall see.

The plan is to keep them in the cage when travelling which just fits under the dinette table so they will not be going anywhere in the event of rapid deceleration. I don't need to worry about acceleration dislodging them!!

If we go out I guess they can again sit in the cage until we are sure they will be content being allowed to roam free......cough!! Splutter!!!!.....ahm!!!..........

I may go the acrylic route for the rear bed bulkhead as for sure they will want to climb up and due to their adorably stunted growth, they can't quite reach or hop up that high.

Looking for a van I often came across vans with windows fitted to the rear garage doors which was explained as 'ventilation' for the garage. Now, I don't know what they wanted to ventilate but I feel sure their animals either lived in there during stays or even travelled in there on the road! Oh, I guess their kids may have been put in there also. Who knows, but windows in garage doors seem odd to me.

We shall see what happens. Can't quite bring myself to be sooo philosophical to see some damage as the price I have to pay for having the little darlings with me though. I'm struggling to apply the same to Claire at the mo!!!.........Ho Hum.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What to do?

Upgrade the girlfriend. Can't be hard to find someone better than one that calls her dogs Lahsi Apsi, bipsy bopsy, Arso Popsy.

WANTED.
Girlfriend without dogs or other pets who wants to spend nights of extreme passion in my Germany Castle. Only young, blond Swedish girls with fininitely long legs need apply.

Baron von Nopits.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi,

Thing is, we plan on going away for a couple of months and of course we have to take the dags. I'm still getting used to having company in a van so the dags are another thing completely. Claire is very good with them and cares for them in every way. She's a Veterinary Nurse also. They have at her home dug a few holes in the plaster in the kitchen here and there and I'm informed this is some kind of 'abandonment' frustration. You can see where I'm going with this can't you. Nice 'new to me' van which cost a good few coin and thoughts of wandering off to a restaurant without them in tow will leave me wondering if they'll manage to dig themselves out through the scratch free, genuine synthetic wood veneer. [HI]We do have a collapsable doggy box which both fit in easily but they tend to fight now and again when left too long in it. [/HI]

[HI]
Or buy another cage to keep them separate?
[/HI]

Thankfully our little lad travels well and has never chewed. We do walk him before leaving whether at home or away

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I was going to suggest another crate, but Larby has beaten me to it.

Storm, my border collie, travels on the back seat, wearing a harness which is plugged into the seat belt clip. She was crate trained as pup, and is quite happy sleeping in a crate, but as she has travelled with me so much, she is just as content to sleep in her basket on the floor of the van. She's not allowed on the furniture, but knows that if I pick up the harness then she is to sit on the back seat. (It's covered with an old towel to keep it clean. )

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
With a Carthago Mondial 58 DRH It shouldn't be a problem, plenty of room in that garage for two cages?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
They are not large dogs so you should get 2 cages and 2 'kongs' -these are a toy but are also a treat dispenser, dogs spend ages getting their treat out of them, your girlfriend should know what they are. I would never crate 2 dogs together it only takes for 1 to be slightly off colour and snappy for a fight to start and i envy no one trying to seperate a dog fight in a cage, and imagine if it was to happen whilst you were driving the injury that could be inflicted in that time it takes to stop safely and get to them doesnt bare thinking about no matter how used to each other they are, so a cage each is needed which if made comfy and a couple of toys they will then come to regard as their own 'safehouse' in time

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
This has opened my eyes. Until recently we just had one collie, but now we have two again. I had never thought of them being missiles inside the MH. Had a think as I didn't really want to coop them up as Border Collies are really outside dogs. Got it sorted though. A set of scales and bungee cord was all it took. .......... Checked they were not too heavy for the cycle rack then bungeed them to it. Sorted . They can travel safely while being outside. Of course, the other thing is being able to relax when away from the MH, for a meal or whatever. Had a good think. Maddy has never put a paw wrong in the destructive dept in 13 years, neither has Meg in 3 months. I have consulted the vet and at this stage he is reluctant to remove all their teeth and de claw them...( only joking ). Although our MH is really precious to us, the fun we have with our dogs is priceless. I really hope the dogs are not destructive in your MH but I would reccomend a dog psycologist rather than restraining cages etc. If they can sort the dogs out so they are happy in there you have gained another deterent for that break in that worries you. The dogs will be free to roam in the MH but not be destructive. You mat even gain some brownie points. Good luck. I might be back asking for help as Meg seems to bark a bit....:Smile::ROFLMAO::Smile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Have you thought of putting a couple of good sized glugs of whicky in their water before you go out, that should keep them sleeping for a while:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Yes, a crate or even 2 is best thing for them.
I've found the best seat covers are duvet covers ( I buy them in charity shops ) you can put the seat cushions inside them so the covers don't slide off.
Acclimatise the dogs gradually and they should adapt.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Try changing you motorhome for one with a garage:thumb:

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 27

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
P.s. the law in France stipulates that "your dog must not be like a missile in your vehicle" Dogs have to behind a dog guard, in a crate or restrained by a harness.

OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Upgrade the girlfriend. Can't be hard to find someone better than one that calls her dogs Lahsi Apsi, bipsy bopsy, Arso Popsy.

WANTED.
Girlfriend without dogs or other pets who wants to spend [HI]nights of extreme passion[/HI] in my Germany Castle. Only young, blond Swedish girls with fininitely long legs need apply.

Baron von Nopits.

........I'm trying to reduce my work load, not increase it.........!!!

OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Some great tips coming in thanks everybody!

The crate is the way to go and I already bought one last year in readiness but I wasn't sure if they would like it or not. I think you are right when you say two dogs in one crate is not optimum. Claire believes they would be fine, particularly if we were out of the way. When we are there they are restless as they want to be out with us. I bought the largest crate that would fit under the dinette table so better would have been to buy two smaller ones. I'll probably get another smaller one anyway.

The plan during the day and nights is to make a bed for them in the shower tray. I only intend to use it once a fortnight anyway so no biggy. But when were bodding about the van cooking, maintaining etc I will make a den for them in the over cab bed. Got it all worked out!! It'll be great. Three sides of perspex hinged together to make a 'U' shape with the opening the same width as the safety net barrier of the bed. Secure the perspex box on the bed, velcro to the edges of the net and hey presto, a sizeable, 'pen' for them to watch the world go by in. Not for driving though of course, we have the crate/s for that. I think they may like it to have a vantage point over the whole van and us. Or maybe not. Maybe they'll hate it? Of course they will. What was I thinking. It's a disaster. Scrap that idea.

Oh, and one other thing. However much I like those two fluffy little things, there is no way I would waste my stash of Isla Malts on them. A man can give too much know!

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Make a divide for the big crate - dogs are together but can't fight :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you have time I would address the stress situation. Should be fine in a couple of weeks.

You need a crate anyway, as especially abroad they must not be able to access the cab, some require crating or restraints. It also means in a accident situation, they won't run anywhere or fly through the vehicle!

Firstly, as others have suggested use the crate as a 'safe' zone - a quiet area. Cover with a dark blanket as it calms them. Leave this open in the house as a training aid.

Get some interesting toys - thinking ones. Treats hidden inside such as kong type. This will keep them busy and keep their mind off your absence.

Leave for 15 mins, come back reward and make a fuss. Over the next few weeks, build this up to 2 hours. Once they are used to this, know you are coming back...there will not be an issue.:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
LOL Our dogs are not allowed on the furniture either at home or while away in the motorhome. Yet we hd suspicions that once we went out they would make themselves more confortable in the van.

At the Westpoint show in October I had gone back to the van to shower having been over to the Van Bitz exhibition unit to set up.

The dogs presumably had forgotten I was there, as the bathroom door clips back to enclose the rear bedroom. I took some pictures of the dogs. Shadow sat on the dash board and Sabre enjoying himself on the setee.

I guess that plan was that with Shadow keeping lookout Sabre could relax. Perhaps they do 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off LOL

They heard me as I took the photo over the top of the bathroom door :winky:

The funny thing is that as soon as they realised that I was there they jumped down and assumed their "usual" positions:roflmto:

Buggas

Eddie

Attachments

• IMG_1769[1].jpg
    IMG_1769[1].jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 27
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
No wonder you named your new alarm system Growler:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: nobody is going to enter your van with that sat on the dash:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back