Traveling to spain (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are driving down to marjalinspain on the 27th December will all fuel stations be open or only some we will be using toll roads . Is there anyone else going down ::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
we are also going on the 27th but it is by tunnel and at 2am most petrol station have a card payment pump motorway station are sometimes more expensive than here i always tank right up here i know it costs more but it allows me to travel a good few miles before stopping for fuel aqnd away from calais are you off to marjal on the coast of the inland 1

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We leave on the 28th via Dover Calais but are not in a hurry so will not be on the autoroute. Travelling to Spain via Le Boulou and La Jonquera. Hopefully in La Jonquera for New Years eve but if not some other hostelry will have to put up with us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Spain

We are driving down to marjalinspain on the 27th December will all fuel stations be open or only some we will be using toll roads . Is there anyone else going down ::bigsmile:

Not sure if you're driving all the way but if you are France could be a bigger problem, not for fuel but for stopping places.

When you get into Spain I would suggest you plan refuelling to avoid stopping near any of the major cities for security reasons. The trip down to Marjal is quite a hike. You will probably need at least one stop. Don't overnight on motorway services, again for your safety. We usually stop at Pico de la Miel at Cabreras, mainly coz it's open all year and it's a reasonable drive from our previous stop in France.

Have a great trip

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.

All fuel stations will be open in Spain on motorways or not. Christmas isn't a big deal here - more important are the "local" holidays, for example, here in Valencia the Fallas Festival in March, as everybody joins in and only work the minimum during the Fiesta Week.

Enjoy your stay!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not sure if you're driving all the way but if you are France could be a bigger problem, not for fuel but for stopping places.

When you get into Spain I would suggest you plan refuelling to avoid stopping near any of the major cities for security reasons. The trip down to Marjal is quite a hike. You will probably need at least one stop. [HI]Don't overnight on motorway services, again for your safety[/HI]. We usually stop at Pico de la Miel at Cabreras, mainly coz it's open all year and it's a reasonable drive from our previous stop in France.

Have a great trip

Has something changed this year then ? It is the ONLY place we will stop cos we always feel safe with all the lorry drivers.. I always try and say hello to those parked around us.. Everyone has always looked out for one and other..

But from what you are saying things have changed in the latter months of this year ???

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

Already there dude !!!!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Get the Spanish Aires book !

Has something changed this year then ? It is the ONLY place we will stop cos we always feel safe with all the lorry drivers.. I always try and say hello to those parked around us.. Everyone has always looked out for one and other..

But from what you are saying things have changed in the latter months of this year ???

Coming down a month ago, pulled into services for fuel and a break, a guy in an English MH came over and said he was broken into during the night, he woke up and they ran off ! he was surrounded by lorries !
The police arrived on the scene and said it was a frequent occurence !:Angry::Angry::Angry:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i never had a problem in june so maybe things have changed i will do most of my driver at night if possible and get a few hours sleep around the early hours would stay in supermarket carparts if possible but never in the large towns

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

We'll be arriving on 3rd or 4th having spent New year at Villasol ::bigsmile:

Mike.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
looks like a good few funsters will be there maybe those travelling at the same time can make a wagon train then park up like in the westerns circle wise :ROFLMAO:

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
We bought the new Spanish aires book before setting off on this trip. It has plenty of new aires and highlights the ones that they advise against staying on - mostly motorway aires around Barcelona.

It would also be useful to have the French aires book too as you're travelling through.

We've stayed on a few Spanish aires in the past couple of years or so and not had any problems. We, too, don't usually use aires in large towns. Another rule we apply is only to stay when there is at least one other van, and, if we don't like the look of an aire, then don't stay on it.

Should see you in Marjal, then!

::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Some make it sound as though there are real problems with going to Spain, and security.

'Don't sleep here', 'don't fill up near a city', 'robbed whilst asleep', 'regular occurrence', not to mention being 'gassed'!.

It would put some people off ever going off their driveway!

I am sure the risks are similar to here. If you are blase about security, you will come unstuck, if you are more aware, and sensible, you would be less likely to be 'robbed'.

If it doesn't feel right, move on.

Would any of you, park overnight, in a lay-by, opposite a travellers site?
Would any of you fill up in an English city, at night, and leave you MH/RV unlocked whilst you went and paid for fuel?

I get an image of nothing but robbers lined up at every motorway services, waiting to rob MHs, similarly at filling stations in city's.

Maybe there are 'Robbers Rests', places for them to have a break. Somewhere they can relax and read 'gassed weekly', and, 'how to rob an English MH'.
They might even have their own magazine, 'Credit Card Exchange' containing adverts like, 'gassing kit for sale,' 'one owner from new, complete with instructions and MH volume calculations chart', or 'box of credit cards for sale', 'straight from the supplier at the Shell station in Lyon, £500 ono, cash only, no cards'.

Just be sensible, aware, and relaxed about travelling through Europe, but most of all, enjoy it!

Craig

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Some make it sound as though there are real problems with going to Spain, and security.

'Don't sleep here', 'don't fill up near a city', 'robbed whilst asleep', 'regular occurrence', not to mention being 'gassed'!.

It would put some people off ever going off their driveway!

I am sure the risks are similar to here. If you are blase about security, you will come unstuck, if you are more aware, and sensible, you would be less likely to be 'robbed'.

If it doesn't feel right, move on.

Would any of you, park overnight, in a lay-by, opposite a travellers site?
Would any of you fill up in an English city, at night, and leave you MH/RV unlocked whilst you went and paid for fuel?

I get an image of nothing but robbers lined up at every motorway services, waiting to rob MHs, similarly at filling stations in city's.

Maybe there are 'Robbers Rests', places for them to have a break. Somewhere they can relax and read 'gassed weekly', and, 'how to rob an English MH'.
They might even have their own magazine, 'Credit Card Exchange' containing adverts like, 'gassing kit for sale,' 'one owner from new, complete with instructions and MH volume calculations chart', or 'box of credit cards for sale', 'straight from the supplier at the Shell station in Lyon, £500 ono, cash only, no cards'.

Just be sensible, aware, and relaxed about travelling through Europe, but most of all, enjoy it!

Craig

Craig, I Absolutely love it, you are sooooo right!!:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
the only time i have been gassed is when i have had some dodgy beer and curry and then fell asleep with me arse open :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am sure the risks are similar to here.

Craig

We don't get bogus police cars trying to flag us down over here. And over there there are seriously rich pickings to be had, not only Brits but rich Germans and some Dutch. That is why there is more risk over there.

But as you say, don't panic, use your head. Use Jim's Security Handbook.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Travel advice

This is the current CC advice to members, which is what I qouted. I don't think it's new: Broken Link Removed

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We don't get bogus police cars trying to flag us down over here. And over there there are seriously rich pickings to be had, not only Brits but rich Germans and some Dutch. That is why there is more risk over there.

Are you really sure? Never get bogus police cars over here? Nor bogus police? Mmmmm! And I would hardly call pinching from a MH/RV 'seriously rich pickings' either, sorry.

Craig

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And I would hardly call pinching from a MH/RV 'seriously rich pickings' either, sorry.
Craig

I'm not writing this to score points, but to help others.

Average MH heading south:

Many hundreds probably exceeding 1000 Euros. We needed over €2000 cash to pay Desert Detours for Morocco.
One or two digital cameras, camcorders etc.
LCD TV
Laptops, tablets, MP3 players.
Credit cards. Debit Cards.
Passports.

There is an absolute fortune there to some crackhead or Romanian thug.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
A few years ago it was France getting the “OMG don’t park here and don’t do this” treatment, now it’s the turn of Spain. Let’s have all the people that have had it happen to them in Spain and France tell us about it because all I seem to read is “You have to be careful, don’t stop, be sure about the place that you stop and watch out for robbers!!! Well wouldn’t you do that any place you stopped, or is it just me?

The last post that I remember reading on this forum about somebody being robbed was a guy that (I think) went into a supermarket in France (I think) and whilst in there a robber entered the MH and stole 3000 Euros while his wife slept. Well how on earth is going to leave 3 grand in a motorhome? Not me and that’s for sure! Unless of course you are in Morocco, but elsewhere you can use credit cards, prepaid or otherwise. There are not many countries in Europe that I have not travelled through in the last 50 years and never robbed….I think because I used my head, no matter which country I was in, including the UK!
Now I realise that I may have missed all the posts from people that have been robbed, punched, kicked, stopped by false police cars, and all the other hardships that you can think of, so if somebody could enlighten me that would be great. I would invite anybody that has had any nasty events out of the afore mentioned (above) to place the information in this forum, please state the country it happened in, and please not something that you heard about from a friend of a friends mate, no it happened to you!!

Now that really would be useful information.:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It impossible to get gassed in a motorhome. Just think of the volume of gas required to fill the van with gas to a height above your bed! You would need a tanker full. No insurance company has ever received a claim from a gas victim. Lock your cash in your safe, bolt your doors on the inside and when fuelling one of you always stay in van. you will be safe. Been travelling Spain and France for 12 years, never had any bother any where. Happy travelling.

BUSBY.

worry is like a rocking horse. it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A few years ago it was France getting the “OMG don’t park here and don’t do this” treatment, now it’s the turn of Spain. Let’s have all the people that have had it happen to them in Spain and France tell us about it because all I seem to read is “You have to be careful, don’t stop, be sure about the place that you stop and watch out for robbers!!! Well wouldn’t you do that any place you stopped, or is it just me?

[HI]The last post that I remember reading on this forum about somebody being robbed was a guy that (I think) went into a supermarket in France (I think) and whilst in there a robber entered the MH and stole 3000 Euros while his wife slept. Well how on earth is going to leave 3 grand in a motorhome[/HI]? Not me and that’s for sure! Unless of course you are in Morocco, but elsewhere you can use credit cards, prepaid or otherwise. There are not many countries in Europe that I have not travelled through in the last 50 years and never robbed….I think because I used my head, no matter which country I was in, including the UK!
Now I realise that I may have missed all the posts from people that have been robbed, punched, kicked, stopped by false police cars, and all the other hardships that you can think of, so if somebody could enlighten me that would be great. I would invite anybody that has had any nasty events out of the afore mentioned (above) to place the information in this forum, please state the country it happened in, and please not something that you heard about from a friend of a friends mate, no it happened to you!!

Now that really would be useful information.:thumb:

Well me for one..
Whilst some are lucky enough to travel just for fun and to get away, I have to make the most of my trips abroad to seek out new innovative ( bike related ) ideas to sell.

And if you think going to a main supplier in Germany or anywhere else and offering a credit card payment for a couple of k's worth of merchandise would work.. no chance !

And the incident mentioned was my son-law and daughter.. In the van was my daughter and three other adults. Like me, he works for a living and makes use of the UK being a trading member of the EU

He had just delivered a rather large gold necklace to a chap in France.. On the way back home he was to call in and pick up several gold chains for his brother ( who owns a gold shop in Kent )

Des had got out to grab a coffee and simply forgot to lock up.. By his own admission it was a bloody stupid thing to do, and by my daughters own admission, it was equally as stupid leaving a handbag on ( semi ) view.
When the door opened she just thought it was Des returning, and thought no more about it.

Put it simply, if the door had been locked ( fairly basic precaution ! ) it would not have happened...

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
If I had 3 grand in cash, it wouldn't be out of my sight! Let alone being left in an unlocked vehicle! That could easily have happened anywhere in the UK too.

Craig

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If I had 3 grand in cash, it wouldn't be out of my sight! Let alone being left in an unlocked vehicle! That could easily have happened anywhere in the UK too.

Craig

Yup.. dead right.. We are STILL taking the pee out of the poor sod even now !! ( Des and Donna are members on here but usually only glance in to see what is going on )

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
:thumb:

I agree, common sense is important. Without it what's the good of education? However, if you possess the first bit you then need somewhere to learn stuff. What I posted was professional advice, and not secondhand heresay, which is hopefully what you are looking for.

Regards Ed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back