Motorhome restrictions in Scarborough (1 Viewer)

ravman

Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
3 years
Scarborough Council are to introduce restrictions on overnight parking from Jan 1st 2013 Broken Link Removed_

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Did anybody read the comments posted under the article ?

Some for and some against but all of them with an "us and them" overtone. I would be very interested to know where the sites are in the town, that one person implied are there for our use. Scalby Mills is mentioned, but that is a fair way out of Scarborough and kind of defeats the object.

I was in Filey the other day in the MH and went into the pay and display park next to Tesco. The restriction signs are up there as well.

When will our councillors see the benefits of aires style sites close to their amenities so we can spend money in their areas, and enjoy them without causing grief to the general public who live there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This story has been the subject of previous threads, latterly Broken Link Removed.

Briefly, Scarborough Borough Council found itself with problems because of indiscriminate overnighting by some motorhome owners. They proposed designating certain car parks in Scarborough itself and Whitby where people could overnight without being a nuisance to residents and other visitors. Unfortunately they came up against the problem (previously experienced by Teignbridge Council at Teignmouth and Dawlish Warren) that the car parks concerned only enjoy planning permission for parking, not habitation. Scarborough Council does not currently have resources available to support what could be a prolonged planning process because of the objections which will probably be raised by some (quite possibly misguided/misinformed) people. The only alternative they have, therefore, is to introduce the restrictions reported.

OP
OP
R

ravman

Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
3 years
I guess thats of our list of places to visit next year then.......

As others state, Scarborough is just one of many and I suppose its something we have to live with going forward. Unfortunately some will abuse any situation. Marine Drive, being on the edge of the sea, is a magnet. I use it a lot for day time parking but have never overnighted there. (Too many boy racers for me) Having said that it is away from residential area's (unlike Scalby Mills which will offer some overnight bays and has a nice real ale pub near it) and yet is handy for access to sea front cafe's, pubs, shops etc (although I spose they will all be closed after 11pm when restriction come into force).
One does feel a little singled out as this restriction is Motor Caravan specific, therfore what is to stop anybody else parking overnight and sleeping in a car or a van? Perhaps we should appeal to the European Court of Human Rights (LoL)

Despite this Scarboroughs is still a nice place to visit and with some great scenery. Lets just hope SBC don't get too carried away.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Scarborough borough covers quite a large area, including Whitby, so I suppose that all of their area will end up the same. As I said, Filey already has.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you can park anywhere you like in Scarborough during normal 'office' hours...7am to 11pm. except for normal restrictions obviously.

there are very few individually marked on street parking bays (off street car parks have individual marked bays), they are mainly continuously marked parking 'lanes' running parallel the road so any length motorhome can park without fear of incurring two separate charges for over running your allotted 'bay'.

the town centre 'shopping streets' parking is by machine issued ticket (paid) and the surrounding area is by parking disc, free with time restrictions by area between 9am and 5pm. ...1hr, 2hr or 3hr.

further afield (residential areas) parking is free and unrestricted.

what the article didn't say is the council are to allow overnight SLEEPING at Scalby mills car park for a small fee (still to be price fixed I believe), but anyone who has used the carpark will know it aint the biggest park in the town by any means, but it's a start.

Filey and Whitby are also to get designated overnight places too.

personally, if I didn't live here i wouldn't bother coming.
becoming grubby and run down with a growing 'vacant shop and office' trend.

as for christmas lights....the shops do a far better display than the council has for years, very minimal and not in the least festive.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Went to Scarborough in May 2000

It was closed

Don't think I will be going back

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
you can park anywhere you like in Scarborough during normal 'office' hours...7am to 11pm. except for normal restrictions obviously.

there are very few individually marked on street parking bays (off street car parks have individual marked bays), they are mainly continuously marked parking 'lanes' running parallel the road so any length motorhome can park without fear of incurring two separate charges for over running your allotted 'bay'.

the town centre 'shopping streets' parking is by machine issued ticket (paid) and the surrounding area is by parking disc, free with time restrictions by area between 9am and 5pm. ...1hr, 2hr or 3hr.

further afield (residential areas) parking is free and unrestricted.

what the article didn't say is the council are to allow overnight SLEEPING at Scalby mills car park for a small fee (still to be price fixed I believe), but anyone who has used the carpark will know it aint the biggest park in the town by any means, but it's a start.

Filey and Whitby are also to get designated overnight places too.

personally, if I didn't live here i wouldn't bother coming.
becoming grubby and run down with a growing 'vacant shop and office' trend.

as for christmas lights....the shops do a far better display than the council has for years, very minimal and not in the least festive.

Don't be too hard on Scarborough. There are a lot worse places that call themselves holiday resorts. Ever been to Yarmouth ? ::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
We go every year to the Yorkshire Moors but avoid the towns unless shopping for food then park in the supermarket at Seemer

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I can understand places like Scarborough not wanting to attract motorhomers :winky:

They tend to be rowdy folk who get drunk before 11am, throw up on the sea front, chuck their litter down anywhere, stay up late playing raucous techno music until dawn, and screeching their tyres at midnight whilst doing hand break turns in the backstreets. Real bad 'uns.

Who'd want to have motorhomers arriving in their droves at a lovely seaside resort like Scarborough, Filey or Whitby?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
my grand son comes from scarborugh and sumtimes wanted to visit but soon knoked that out of him who would want to visit that dump we now threten him with a visit to scarbrugh when hi is bad:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
O to be a traveller or gypay whatever they call themselves.
Just imagine going where we want, parking where we want, staying anywhere for as long as the court case lasts and just dumping everything anywhere. As we do all this we can lay out of date tarmac, superglue guttering in place fell trees anywhere,fleece the public and get way with it, then afterwards just flytip all our rubbish. When we have finnished robbing the area just move on to the next unsuspecting town and start again. I am begining to think that being a law abbiding motorhomer comes with many penalties
but a conscience is valueable to say the least.

walmic

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
bridlington
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
WHAT A JOKE!!!!!

we live near scarbro and have always been pleased to see so many motorhomers on the marine drive.
there is AMPLE space and lots of cafe's open for breakfast.

it is the same in both bridlington and filey, they obviously don't want us in their towns, although a TIP---in brid you CAN legitimately roadside park on "the avenues" very close to the expanse hotel and get a sea view--i have seen many an overnighter here---no parking restrictions overnight!!!

TIP 2--- the "ship inn" , sewerby has wild camping in their car park which overlooks the cliffs and bridlington bay, and is right next door to sewerby hall and grounds, and the "little train" running down to brid centre---it's one of these where they expect you to buy a pint or 2 and or a meal---and everynight has a different theme!!!!

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Let us see how we fare with these "designated" sites. Who knows, if we behave and show ourselves to be tidy and civilised we might, just might see some aires being set up in the future.
However, if we abuse these proposed facilities we deserve what we get.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
TIP 2--- the "ship inn" , sewerby has wild camping in their car park which overlooks the cliffs and bridlington bay, and is right next door to sewerby hall and grounds, and the "little train" running down to brid centre---it's one of these where they expect you to buy a pint or 2 and or a meal---and everynight has a different theme!!!!
Wild camping? 15 Quid a Night is a bit dear for wild camping isn't it? ::bigsmile:

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Let us see how we fare with these "designated" sites. Who knows, if we behave and show ourselves to be tidy and civilised we might, just might see some aires being set up in the future.
However, if we abuse these proposed facilities we deserve what we get.

Who are these renegade motorhomers?

Everyone - and I mean everyone - who I've met with a motorhome has been jolly considerate to those around them and the environment, which is something you can't always say about people in tents and/or caravans - although most of those are great people too.

I'm totally baffled as to why any seaside resort (e.g. Scarborough, Filey) would want to turn away a potentially profitable visitor. It's not as though motorhomes are cheap. Most people with them have a few bob to spend in cafes, restaurants, pubs, supermarkets, museums, etc.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Who are these renegade motorhomers?

Everyone - and I mean everyone - who I've met with a motorhome has been jolly considerate to those around them and the environment, which is something you can't always say about people in tents and/or caravans - although most of those are great people too.

I'm totally baffled as to why any seaside resort (e.g. Scarborough, Filey) would want to turn away a potentially profitable visitor. It's not as though motorhomes are cheap. Most people with them have a few bob to spend in cafes, restaurants, pubs, supermarkets, museums, etc.

Every motorhomer I've met has also been considerate as you describe. However, there are undoubtedly some motorhome owners out there who do not act in that manner.
When stories have arisen about people leaving rubbish, emptying toilet cassettes in the sea &c I have tried contacting councillors and the like to try to find out if there is real evidence or the stories are apocryphal. Unfortunately the former has proved to be the case on a number of occasions.
There have also been a number of postings on this and other forums when people have been quite open about the fact that they consider there to be no problem in ignoring signs prohibiting overnight camping if it suits them.
There is nothing wrong with people overnighting where there are no restrictions but when people act otherwise it does none of us any good.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
They are out there. The effect of every antisocial motorhomer is multiplied by ten. Those of us who are law abiding and considerate whilst in the majority go unheard of.

But ARE they REALLY out there?

It seems odd that we've all driven thousands of miles in our MHs and yet never spotted these Abominable Snow Men of the motorhome world.

I reckon if you overnighted on the banks of Lock Ness you'd have more chance of sighting the Lock Ness Monster than spotting an inconsiderate motorhomer.

Heck, many motorhomers (our good selves included) like to leave anywhere we stop better than it was when we arrived, e.g. clearing up rubbish.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure there must be some bad 'uns in the wild, but we must be talking 1 in every 1000. If that is the case this 1 in a thousand are getting around as every car park in the country seems to have problems with undesirable motorhomers.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But ARE they REALLY out there?

It seems odd that we've all driven thousands of miles in our MHs and yet never spotted these Abominable Snow Men of the motorhome world.

I reckon if you overnighted on the banks of Lock Ness you'd have more chance of sighting the Lock Ness Monster than spotting an inconsiderate motorhomer.

Heck, many motorhomers (our good selves included) like to leave anywhere we stop better than it was when we arrived, e.g. clearing up rubbish.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure there must be some bad 'uns in the wild, but we must be talking 1 in every 1000. If that is the case this 1 in a thousand are getting around as every car park in the country seems to have problems with undesirable motorhomers.

This from August from a Rother borough councillor
Thank you for your email. I have myself in the past been an enthusiastic owner of a Caravan. I am 100percent in favour of caravanning with Caravans and Motor Homes. Sutton Place is not a Caravan site. And nobody objects to a Motor Home stopping for a couple of days on the seafront. The situation is that we have several Camper Vans who have now been parked together for in some cases 7weeks. They are virtually living there using the facilities far beyond the usual usage of people just stopping for a little while. Razors have been left in the Lavatories, washing IS draped over the bushes, the rubbish bins are used as dustbins, and so on.

There may be just 1 in 1000 bad ones but, as Yorkshirepudding points out, the effect of every antisocial motorhomer is magnified significantly. As with so many other matters, it is the bad news which receives the publicity - and, thus, results in what the majority of the public perceive to be the truth.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I suppose that we have to accept that some people don't fit into our interpretation of a motorhomer.
Some people may buy a motorhome and never join anything like Funsters or C&C/C&CC, or any other kind of organiseation.
They may not care about anything but themselves and their "right" to do what they want, where they want. They may not care what repercussions their actions may have.
There must be hundreds of people like that, who buy a motorhome and go off and do their own thing.
We can't force them to sign up to anything.
We can't "educate" them if we don't see or know them.
But they will be there, cocking it up for the rest of us.

I'm sure there will be a name for them, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Scarborough Council are to introduce restrictions on overnight parking from Jan 1st 2013 Broken Link Removed_

I suggest that we post and vote on the website. Even if you dont use Scarborough it is a council taking away a basic freedom to park at night. One gets away with it and the others follow.

Please contribute sensibly:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I suggest that we post and vote on the website. Even if you dont use Scarborough it is a council taking away [HI]a basic freedom to park at night[/HI]. One gets away with it and the others follow.

Please contribute sensibly:Doh:
What basic freedom to park at night? There is no such thing is there? Councils have been able, for years, to make parking restrictions which they think appropriate for their particular area so what legislation would give such a freedom?

Incidentally, I have put in a FoI request to Scarborough Council asking for details of "the information (including references to any legislation) on which the council based its decision that planning permission would be needed and how that overrides the provisions of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (Paragraph 11 of Schedule 1)".

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
What basic freedom to park at night? There is no such thing is there? Councils have been able, for years, to make parking restrictions which they think appropriate for their particular area so what legislation would give such a freedom?

Incidentally, I have put in a FoI request to Scarborough Council asking for details of "the information (including references to any legislation) on which the council based its decision that planning permission would be needed and how that overrides the provisions of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (Paragraph 11 of Schedule 1)".

I have enjoyed seeing the sun rise at 5AM ish with my children while parked at Scarborough. It is a freedom that anyone should be allowed to have.

This is a simple pleasure, why should we be denied it?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
so you are on your way down south following the coast for the scenery and you get tired driving and pull in at a convenient spot only to find that you cant stop there :Doh::Doh:

there must be some give and take in this somewhere.

Quote" The situation is that we have several Camper Vans who have now been parked together for in some cases 7weeks. They are virtually living there using the facilities far beyond the usual usage of people just stopping for a little while. Razors have been left in the Lavatories, washing IS draped over the bushes, the rubbish bins are used as dustbins, and so on."

as most motorhomes to the untrained eye look the same could this not just have been several motorhomes on a 1 - 2 night stop over ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back