Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
We (Bill and Judy and Beth our dog) are planning to drive from Spain to the UK in the middle of July for about 6 weeks, give or take, work our way up from Portsmouth and tour Scotland for about 3 weeks. Although we have been to Scotland a few times, we have never “Done it” in a MH, I just wondered if any fun people had some ideas as to what to miss and more important what to make sure that we visit.

Thanks for any help.:thumb:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm a lover of the east because I've been there so often.

Scone Palace, Perth. Scotland begins here.
Up the A9, got to be the prettiest road in UK.
Queen's View on the A9
Pitlochry
Aviemore and Cairngorms
Grantown on Spey -- this is Whisky Trail area.
Elgin area, dolphin watch.
Aberdeen, The Granite City
Along Deeside, not sure if can visit Balmoral in summer.
Breamar.
Over Glen Shee.

I'll let someone direct you across to the west from there.

Scotland isn't about big Must See, it's thousands of delightful sights strung together.

PS....
Warning, campers far outnumber campsites. It is very popular in summer.

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
can I ask how far up scotland you are planning on going John o Groats ???
or just to perthshire / Aviemore ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I would recommend you narrowing this down a bit as what is one persons must see is another persons avoid at all costs! What do you want to see and do? Landscape, if so looking at, strolling in or serious walking? Cities, Festivals large and small, what kind of music, theatre etc.We have been here for 25 years and know a lot about whats going on but it would take an age to tell you everything.If you want some advice send a PM with an idea of what you're looking for and we may be able to help.
We are off to the Funsters pre xmas meet at Chester tommorrow so will not be able to get back to you til next week.
Cheers.
:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey just a thought make sure your dog is allowed into Blighty, that is with micro chip and passport

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I would recommend you narrowing this down a bit as what is one persons must see is another persons avoid at all costs! What do you want to see and do? Landscape, if so looking at, strolling in or serious walking? Cities, Festivals large and small, what kind of music, theatre etc.We have been here for 25 years and know a lot about whats going on but it would take an age to tell you everything.If you want some advice send a PM with an idea of what you're looking for and we may be able to help.
We are off to the Funsters pre xmas meet at Chester tommorrow so will not be able to get back to you til next week.
Cheers.
:thumb:

Johnstey and camocam1
I knew I would forget something, it an age thing. Time in Scotland about 3 or 4 weeks, how far up? Well don't HAVE to go as far as Inverness but if we should then we could.

Interests: Countryside, interesting towns -for instance we love Oban- not serious walking, Music, well we aint young but most music except bagpipes.
Johnstey, I will PM you, thanks.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Johnstey and camocam1
I knew I would forget something, it an age thing. Time in Scotland about 3 or 4 weeks, how far up? Well don't HAVE to go as far as Inverness but if we should then we could.

Interests: Countryside, interesting towns -for instance we love Oban- not serious walking, Music, well we aint young [HI]but most music except bagpipes.[/HI]

I have a Scottish (by descent) friend who plays the bagpipes, and I can assure you it needs as much training and skill as playing a musical instrument.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
For me, Scotland is North of Inverness !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

So tell me why Stephen and if it that good I can go, I am retired I can stay as long as I like, never done Scotland in a MH, don't know north of Inverness, why should I go??????

And you seem to be the bloke to tell me whats up North.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For me, Scotland is North of Inverness !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

I've never been but a couple of years ago when I was working in Elgin daughter said don't bother going to John O'Groats, not a lot to see. She's cycled up there a couple of times. So seeing as how far it is I didn't bother.

However I'm tempted to bike it up there next year, just to complete the top to bottom of the UK.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Music, well we aint young but most music except bagpipes.

There is a time and place. That place was Aboyne airfield in January. It was too cold to fly, the canopies just misted up, we were stood around waiting then in the distance the sound of the bagpipes drifted across Dee. It was mind blowing. It was a Sunday morning, why he was playing I do not know but it's one of those moments that last forever.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi Billy23' I would suggest central Scotland for a couple of days,Scotlands biggest tourist atraction the Falkirk wheel the only one like it in the world' Stirling castle, the wallace monument,the battle of Banockburn visitor centre,all of these visitor attractions are within a few miles of each other and 30miles from Edinburgh.:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I will be going there straight from France in June !!

So tell me why Stephen and if it that good I can go, I am retired I can stay as long as I like, never done Scotland in a MH, don't know north of Inverness, why should I go??????

And you seem to be the bloke to tell me whats up North.

I see you are in Espanya ! Think Picos Mountains but not so High ! And the ocean by the side ! My favourite spots are The Applecross Peninsula, Shieldaig and the Outer Hebrides ! The joy is that the Scots are more motorhome friendly and wild camping is not frowned on so much !! However, there is a midge problem when you will be there !:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
As I live in Elgin which is 45 miles from Inverness I have to sort of agree that the highlands are Scotland BUT Perthsire is very nice, but you can't beat the west coast and Skye, I personaly would not go to John 0h groats as nothing there but Dornoch is worth a visit. Only had MH since July so not sure how far you can travel in a day comfortably as we just go away locally.
these miles are approximates

Carlise to Glasgow 125miles
Glasgow to Inverness 180 miles
Glagow to Skye 220 miles

I would head up the west coast via oban, over to skye then cut over country to Dornoch,(nice site next to the beach within walking distance to the town/ do not go to Grannies Heilen Hame !!!) back down to Inverness, across to the moray coast then over by Aberlour / grantown to Aviemore for a few days and then down the A9 to perthsire for a few days, Falkirk wheel I agree is a must, Edinburgh a must, Glasgow ???

Hope this helps

Ron

truffs

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 24, 2012
Durham (Lanchester)
Funster No
MH
CV20
Exp
since 2006
word of warning summer months for your dog becareful of ticks.....but enjoy we go every summer

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
As suggested, there is some stunning landscape 'north of Inverness,' but you'll see plenty on the way too. One or two have suggested avoiding John o' Groats, and I would agree, not a great deal to see, the eastern approaches are pretty bleak in comparison to the west. If you get as far as north of Inverness, veer west and plot a route up the central spine towards Tongue, Durness* etc. Once there, there's only one way home, and that's south!! Navigate your way down via the west coast: Torridon, Isle of Skye is a must - providing it's not raining, otherwise, you may never be tempted back! (Around 70 miles long x 25 miles, nowhere further than 5 miles from the sea, and yet, 800 miles of coastline!!) You say you like Oban, but have you been across to Mull? Very similar in nature to Skye, but it does involve a ferry, and you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to a scenic wild camp. If you're keen on wildlife, there's no better spot in the UK for eagles (golden & white-tailed) and otters of course. I could go on .... but enough for now....apart from one final tip: Described by Iain Banks as one of UK's most stunning roads in his book "Raw Spirit" (a tour of the distilleries in his BMW M3) and that's the road that runs between Braemar and Grantown on Spey via Tomintoul. :thumb:

* Durness: Immortalised in John Lennon's composition "There are places I remember all my life ...etc...."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I see you are in Espanya ! Think Picos Mountains but not so High ! And the ocean by the side ! My favourite spots are The Applecross Peninsula, Shieldaig and the Outer Hebrides ! The joy is that the Scots are more motorhome friendly and wild camping is not frowned on so much !! However, there is a midge problem when you will be there !:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Midge! I will give that a miss then, I get enough mosquito here without looking for more of the blighters.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
word of warning summer months for your dog becareful of ticks.....but enjoy we go every summer

Thanks for that advice, we should be ok though as dogs here have to have just about every injection and tablet protection known to dog. We have a big tick problem here as well.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We drove up the East coast to see the dolphins and then up to the top stopping at John O Groats for a couple of nights as we were spending a day on the Orkneys, we then drove to Tongue which is a great place, then down the middle of the country staying at Bunree & Grunmore campsites, Loch Ness, Fort William & Loch Lomond.
A lot of peace and scenery is what you get up there.
We absolutely love the highlands and can't wait to visit again:thumb:
Picture is of us parked up at Tongue.

ROB&JANE:Cool:

Attachments

• scotland 11.8.12 043.jpg
    scotland 11.8.12 043.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
cant get the link to work but if you type the following in it should (hopefully) come up with a route which will give you good coverage of scotland, like I said earlier go to Dornoch (not on the tour)

www.aboutscotland.com/tour/tourmap.html

Ron

Hi Ron

Fantastic, thank you very much for the link (it worked for me) it looks so good that it may well be the route we take. Once again thanks for your effort. All we have to do now is sort some campsites and then wait till July.:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Just checked out that link !! Very good route, though I would miss out the part below Edinburgh and go further North around the top !! IMHO !!! You can, of course do quite a bit of wildcamping up there ! Lots of the pubs permit parking so long as you spend money !!!

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
do try and get to dornoch and instead of straight down from inverness to aviemore (per map) try and go along the moray coast then cut back over by speyside to Aviemore.

If you need any other advise nearer the time sure can help our

have a good trip when it comes round

Ron

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back