TV licence (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
If you are of the travelling community and happen to have a tv in your caravan/MH etc, but are "no fixed abode", do they/should they have tv licences? Or for that matter, a radio licence.

Just another debatable point :Blush:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How will they enforce it if you don't have one ?:Smile:
Terry

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
How will they enforce it if you don't have one ?:Smile:
Terry

Good question.

Some time ago, when TVs became popular in trucks, it was proposed that a second licence would have to be buoght to cover the mobile one. This was dropped as unenforceable and as long as you had a licence at home that was ok.

So back to travellers. Do they or don't they ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Motorhomes, caravans and boats come under the same requirements as a house when it comes to TV licenses.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As to whether travellers have a TV license, the best way to find out is stop one and ask them :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No need to bother, I am pretty sure what the answer will be ::bigsmile:
How about asking full timers ?:Smile:
Terry

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
How long is it since you saw a traveller selling pegs. Jeeez that scam went out with the ark Mush. You have to sell a lot of pegs to run a Range Rover :winky:

It's easy to run a Range Rover when you are selling pegs.

"like to buy some pegs ? They'll bring you good luck you know".

"I don't believe that rubbish"

"It'll stop your motorhome catching fire tonight sir"

"Oh, why didn't you say. How much are they"?

"£50 a dozen, and cheap at twice the price"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
How long is it since you saw a traveller selling pegs. Jeeez that scam went out with the ark Mush. You have to sell a lot of pegs to run a Range Rover :winky:

I remember being a kid in a small somerset village and my mother would say -
"I have to buy a sprig of heather of that old gypsie woman comming up the drive ,if i don`t she will pass years of bad luck on us " :Eeek:
I used to hide behind the hedge as she went past--she seen me once and pointed at me- i was terrified ::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Terry

No TV no License. I only watch Formula one and never live. I am only required to have a TV license if I watch the BBC iPlayer live/streamed.

I wouldn't want them to compromise themselves ::bigsmile:

No compromise necessary:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This might sound awful but it is why I do not buy anything from folk knocking on the door offering luck
My mum always bought a bit of heather 'for luck' from the gypsy lady who came round.. Didn't do her a lot of good.. She died when I was 13 :Sad:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!

Range Rover - that went out with the ark - Bentleys now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
No TV no License. I only watch Formula one and never live. I am only required to have a TV license if I watch the BBC iPlayer live/streamed.

No compromise necessary:thumb:

I thought that you had to have a licence if you owned a reciever, ie a television or radio, regardless of which channels you watch, live or not.
Do you mean that you watch on your computer/laptop ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Range Rover - that went out with the ark - Bentleys now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry Sue, having not been on "The Hill" for a few years am a bit out of touch with the latest fashion accessory :winky:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Only live a couple of miles from dale farm, so can keep up with the latest gypsy
Fashions :ROFLMAO::RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I thought that you had to have a licence if you owned a reciever, ie a television or radio, regardless of which channels you watch, live or not.

If you watch TV via Iplayer or similar you do NOT need a licence as long as you ONLY watch programs that are not live.

I have not had a TV licence for 6 years. I (we) find most TV to be a load of rubbish so we only watch the good stuff on Iplayer. We occasionally watch something on 4OD or ITVplayer but find the adverts really annoying. :Angry:

Sometimes I think I am a bit of a TV snob:Blush: We also now are trying out Netflix. We have used Lovefilm over the years for DVD rental.

The money we have saved (not spent) has more than paid for my home cinema projector ::bigsmile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Terry

We have been fulltiming since Feb 2009. Yes, we have a TV licence and full timing insurance. We contacted the TV licencing people about our situation (living full time in the motorhome and using our daughters address as a contact address for insurance, Licences etc.).

The answer was that we needed a licence and the licenced address section of their record shows our vehicle registration mumber. The contact section shows our daughters address. If we still had a property in the UK then the TV licence held for that property would cover us if there was no one able to use a TV at that address while we were away.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No such thing as a 'TV license' ... it's the pemises that are licensed ..

The license covers the installation and use of TV receivers, (or any other equipment capabable of recieving) at the premises[HI] specified on the licence[/HI], so if you have no fixed address you can't apply for a license.

Of course many fulltimers have a 'base' or c/o address, so that is the licensed premises address... same address as used for vehicle insurance, V5 and driving license ....

Link Removed

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
No such thing as a 'TV license' ... it's the pemises that are licensed ..

The license covers the installation and use of TV receivers, (or any other equipment capabable of recieving) at the premises[HI] specified on the licence[/HI], so if you have no fixed address you can't apply for a license.

Of course many fulltimers have a 'base' or c/o address, so that is the licensed premises address...

Link Removed

Hi Jim

From the FAQ section

Do I need a licence for my mobile home or caravan?

Yes. If you have a static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet and it has a TV which is used at the same time as a TV set is being used in your main licensed home you'll need a separate licence to cover your second home. You'll also need to buy a TV Licence if your static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet is your main residence and you use a TV set in it.

You can buy a TV Licence online.

However, if the TV in your static caravan or mobile home is never in use at the same time as the TV at your main home, you don't need a separate licence. But you do need to complete a declaration form and return it to us so that we can update our records. Please note, the above only applies if:

• Your caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet is capable of being moved from one place to another (by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer).
  • You have a TV Licence at your home address.

You can download a copy of the non-simultaneous use declaration form online. Print, complete and sign the declaration and send it to the address shown on the form. This form cannot be used if your second property is a permanent structure.

The form will download as a PDF document. To view PDF documents, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. This can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website.

Mobile units or other areas where a TV receiver is installed or used must also be covered by a TV Licence.

TV Licensing law states that a mobile unit is any unit used as overnight accommodation capable of being moved easily from one location to another. A unit will generally be regarded as being capable of being moved easily if:
  • It's on wheels or wheels can be easily attached to it.
  • It's motorised or a motor can easily be attached to it.
  • There's another design element that makes it easy to move.

That is why they have my vehicle reg number as the address for my TV licence.

John

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Sorry I didn't make my self clear.. "No TV, No License needed".
I don't have a TV. Everything is on my laptop and computer. I don't watch iPlayer stuff live.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi John

yes, i bet not many fulltimers are so 'honest' about buying one.

I'm assuming you also required a c/o address for the License ..

next topic...

should fulltimers pay council tax :hardhat:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hello John, when I first started out as explained in an earlier post I bought a licience as like you I was told I needed one under the same cicumstances, however at that time I found a section/paragraph that specifically referred to "Touring Caravans" stating they were exempt, granted it was hard to find and when I telephoned the office and explained that I had found it on their website the person I was speaking to had never heard of it but checked it out and later sent me a refund

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry I didn't make my self clear.. "No TV, No License needed".
I don't have a TV. Everything is on my laptop and computer. I don't watch iPlayer stuff live.

did your van not come with a radio fitted that could receive the BBC radio channels?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
No. No radio.

Why? do you now need a license to listen to the radio?

I was of the understanding that you did need a tv licence to cover the radio if it could receive bbc channels. i recall a local blind man who was pursued for non payment of the tv licence as he listened to the radio. this was later dropped when it was realised he was exempt. that was many years ago though when tv was in black & white, so its probably changed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back