Importing new motorhome from Germany? (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have found a new motorhome that meets my requirements but it is at a dealer in Germany.

Can anyone advise as to what I need to do to purchase it in Germany and import and register it in the UK?

Preferably avoiding German tax and paying UK tax instead.

Or can anyone recommend an agent that could do it?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fairly straightforward to do it yourself, some dealer will supply tax free but a lot take a separate payment for the VAT and refund you when you show proof UK VAT has been paid.

You will need to register with HMRC to pay the VAT also since BX there is another form you need to fill in details should be on DVLA site
You will need to get it inspected by a garage or MOT station and apply to VCA for your IVA certificate

The headlamps need to conform if an A Class normally adjustable for flat dipping if a standard cab you will need to change them.

Speedo needs to conform with MPH markings, digital speedos that are switchable are acceptable.

Rear fog lights need to be on both sides or offside or centre.

Upvote 1
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
When we did ours it was from Durrwang Mörlein at Dortmund and they organised the export plates and third party insurance for us and we did the rest it’s pretty straight forward and we paid German VAT and then claimed back after getting to UK 😊

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Fairly straightforward to do it yourself, some dealer will supply tax free but a lot take a separate payment for the VAT and refund you when you show proof UK VAT has been paid.

You will need to register with HMRC to pay the VAT also since BX there is another form you need to fill in details should be on DVLA site
You will need to get it inspected by a garage or MOT station and apply to VCA for your IVA certificate

The headlamps need to conform if an A Class normally adjustable for flat dipping if a standard cab you will need to change them.

Speedo needs to conform with MPH markings, digital speedos that are switchable are acceptable.

Rear fog lights need to be on both sides or offside or centre.
Thank you for this, can you tell me what it is that I need to be inspected by a garage? And who are VCA and what is an IVA cert?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thank you for this, can you tell me what it is that I need to be inspected by a garage? And who are VCA and what is an IVA cert?
What I listed needs to be inspected.

VCA - Vehicle Certification Agency, you can download the application form from their website.

IVA - Individual Vehicle Approval Certificate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
IVA - Individual Vehicle Approval Certificate.
Has Certificate of Mutual Recognition gone. Lenny? I've just checked back through my last import in 2018 and thats what I had to apply for, not IVA. Is it now IVA since Brexit?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Has Certificate of Mutual Recognition gone. Lenny? I've just checked back through my last import in 2018 and thats what I had to apply for, not IVA. Is it now IVA since Brexit
Sorry got my letters muddled up its an IAC that the VCA issue, Individual Approval Certificate, not changed as far as I know. But my last import was 2017.

Upvote 0

Henry Walpole

Free Member
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry got my letters muddled up its an IAC that the VCA issue, Individual Approval Certificate, not changed as far as I know. But my last import was 2017.
I imported in 2022/3 and it was an IVA (in 2019 I got an IAC) so it looks like it has changed post Brexit. Still done through VCA, same rules as Lenny HB has already mentioned.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I imported in 2022/3 and it was an IVA (in 2019 I got an IAC) so it looks like it has changed post Brexit. Still done through VCA, same rules as Lenny HB has already mentioned.
Could be something to do with weight? I applied for Certificate of Mutual Recognition as it was LHD and under 3.5. I had to supply Original European Certificate of Conformity and evidence that the motorhome meets the UK national requirements (Headlights, fog light and speedo) I then was able to submit the CMR to DVLA to UK register.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Great and potentially opportune thread👍

I think I understand the export plates and insurance provided, but what about at the port, ferry/tunnel and in the UK does it still work or do you need separate insurance presumably using the VIN?

Upvote 0

Henry Walpole

Free Member
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Could be something to do with weight? I applied for Certificate of Mutual Recognition as it was LHD and under 3.5. I had to supply Original European Certificate of Conformity and evidence that the motorhome meets the UK national requirements (Headlights, fog light and speedo) I then was able to submit the CMR to DVLA to UK register.
I'm not sure, both my imports were over 3.5 (but under 7.5).

Upvote 0

Henry Walpole

Free Member
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Great and potentially opportune thread👍

I think I understand the export plates and insurance provided, but what about at the port, ferry/tunnel and in the UK does it still work or do you need separate insurance presumably using the VIN?
Our first import from Germany the dealer provided 30 day export plates which included Europe wide basic insurance. Our second import we already owned in Sweden and so was covered by our Swedish insurance (again with Europe wide cover).

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Our first import from Germany the dealer provided 30 day export plates which included Europe wide basic insurance. Our second import we already owned in Sweden and so was covered by our Swedish insurance (again with Europe wide cover).
The only problem with the dealer insurance/registration is as already mentioned it’s third party only. It’s a risk I took and drove very carefully. Once it was in uk I was able to insure it on the VIN, but only to get it home and whilst stored at home until UK registration. Someone mentioned about the port/ferry/tunnel. I'd assume the third party insurance would cover that but again only third party.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The only problem with the dealer insurance/registration is as already mentioned it’s third party only. It’s a risk I took and drove very carefully. Once it was in uk I was able to insure it on the VIN, but only to get it home and whilst stored at home until UK registration. Someone mentioned about the port/ferry/tunnel. I'd assume the third party insurance would cover that but again only third party.
Our Dealer drove it to the tunnel & insurance covered it from the French port on the VIN, previous one we only got full cover once on UK soil.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
I bought a new one in Germany, not happy with the dealer there. Should pick it up but then lock down happened in 2020. Contacted Ship My Car in Milton Keynes. They arranged pick up by a lorry, they sorted out UK reg and I was very pleased with them. I paid German VAT, which was refunded when I had paid UK VAT and import fees.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Purchased my first and current van from a dealer in Germany, collected it and drove back from Bavaria (very carefully) on their third party insurance, once in the UK my insurance covered me to get it home.

Did all the Paperwork myself after we came back from collecting it on the 20th October 2020 and was all legal and on the road by the end of November.
Found the process very easy, might have been a bit lucky though as a lot of others have had a nightmare with importing!

Oh yes no modifications needed to my van once over here as Speedo is in mph and kmh, has 2 rear fogs and the chap at the garage said the headlights look ok, probably helped that he couldn’t get it in his workshop to check😁😁

Upvote 0
May 1, 2018
Funster No
We imported in 2019 so still under pre-Brexit conditions. The German dealer was experienced in export and arranged VAT free export but I had to send him confirmation that I had paid VAT in UK. The important thing is to pay UK Vat within the time limit (I can't remember what it was but it's not long) which starts from the moment you cross the channel. We had a slight delay, I can't remember now why but it wasn't our fault, the important thing if this happens is to communicate with HMRC and get an acknowledgement that they accept the reason for delay otherwise they will fine you.

Ours was a new Fiat Ducato van, we managed to get a second hand set of UK headlights from a fellow funster so we now have lights for use in UK and in Europe, it's a few minutes work to swap them over, no messing about with stick on diverters.
The speedo alteration is also very simple if you want to do it yourself, Lockwood International supply these, they even have easy to follow instructions on how to do it yourself. You then need to find a friendly MOT garage that will give you written confirmation that your headlights, speedo and rear fog lights comply with UK rules. I think he charged me £25 for the check and the letter. I had quotes significantly higher from less friendly garages.
The worst part of the whole thing was getting DVLA registration. They couldn't make up their mind what the road tax should be, I had to re-apply 4 times two of those were because they gave me the tax charge (in writing) then decided it was wrong and I had to re-apply. Each time you apply they repeat the full application process even if there is one minor correction so it took 4 months to get UK registration. I made a formal complaint to which I have never had a response. In the end they charged me the road tax which I was quoted over the telephone the very first time I called them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
I bought a new one in Germany, not happy with the dealer there. Should pick it up but then lock down happened in 2020. Contacted Ship My Car in Milton Keynes. They arranged pick up by a lorry, they sorted out UK reg and I was very pleased with them. I paid German VAT, which was refunded when I had paid UK VAT and import fees.
That looked a nice easy way to do it, so I just contacted Ship My Car. Seems it would cost about £3000 to do all the necessary and end up ready for collection in Milton Keynes. Whole process would take 6 to 8 weeks. Lets say 2 months. Also it would cost more to have it shipped elsewhere in the UK.

It seems to me this would save a lot of faffing about doing it myself, particularly since I've never done it before so would no doubt struggle with some of it. On the other hand it's a fair chunk of cost involved. Any idea how much it would cost doing it yourself?

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Don't know, but it would involve a lot of finding out, phone calls, and problems. Your quoted price is about what I paid three years ago, so that is good. I did the mistake of bying an e-bike from Hymer, so had to pay more VAT here for it. But hey-ho it is nice.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It seems to me this would save a lot of faffing about doing it myself, particularly since I've never done it before so would no doubt struggle with some of it. On the other hand it's a fair chunk of cost involved. Any idea how much it would cost doing it yourself?
About £500 -£700.

That is to get it on the road, about £40 to have it inspected, £50 for speedo dial, VCA £100, Registration fee £55 plus 1 year VED £165 or £325 depending on weight. Plus cost of getting there to pick it, Ferry or Tunnel plus fuel.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
About £500 -£700.

That is to get it on the road, about £40 to have it inspected, £50 for speedo dial, VCA £100, Registration fee £55 plus 1 year VED £165 or £325 depending on weight. Plus cost of getting there to pick it, Ferry or Tunnel plus fuel.
Think a lot can depend on headlights. I had to shell out over £300 for them. I reckoned on about £1000 and was pretty close, so not a lot of difference to yours really. A big game changer is the exchange rate at the time you change your £s as well. On a €100,000 motorhome a change from 1.14 to 1.13 would be about £770. I fell lucky last time and got a good rate. I'm assuming that there is also import duty on top of VAT now after Brexit? That area seems a bit vague to me. I wouldn't want to put anybody off importing though, there are some great bargains to be had and much more choice.

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Think a lot can depend on headlights. I had to shell out over £300 for them
My last two have been A Class just had to flip a lever to set them to flat dipping, standard cab headlights with LED DRL's are about £450 each, I think Coastal Motorhome do them a fair bit cheaper..

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
........ I'm assuming that there is also import duty on top of VAT now after Brexit? That area seems a bit vague to me. I wouldn't want to put anybody off importing though, there are some great bargains to be had and much more choice.
From the small amount of research I have done the import duty is currently zero.

I received a quote of nearly 5k for a company to handle import and transport. One word of warning though a German dealer mentioned that transporting can be very expensive when you go over a certain height (trailer plus van) as special conditions are imposed by the highway authorities.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm assuming that there is also import duty on top of VAT now after Brexit?

From the small amount of research I have done the import duty is currently zero.
Import duty only applies if you buy outside of the EU.
The only difference since Brexit is that you have to pay VAT on second hand vehicles regardless of age.

Upvote 0

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Started 2012, 1st Burstner Ixeo it720, 2nd Carthago C-Tourer i150:)
We are looking at a second hand van, one month old with 1k km on the clock. It’s a private sale, so no vat. Question: Will HMRC accept no vat payment?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
All imports are now subject to 20% VAT.

Under the old rules you could import vat free if more than 6 months old and more than 6000 km but that no longer applies.

Upvote 0

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Started 2012, 1st Burstner Ixeo it720, 2nd Carthago C-Tourer i150:)
So we would have to pay 20% on the price to import and not be able to claim vat from Germany, because it’s a private sale?!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back