Mar 6, 2011
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just borrowing one
Exp
I'm new
Hi there,

I'm returning to campervans with my family after not having driven them for about 20 years. I am planning on driving down to Florence with a borrowed camper. Its a fairly standard sized one now. Not massive and not VW campervan size. Sorry I don't know the brand, and I can't remember the dimensions of the top of my head...A couple of queries, if anyone can help.

Firstly, is I've heard that Italy can be a little difficult with a camper. How true is this? I know we won't go into Florence itself, but other trips from where are based could be fun? So what will driving in Italy be like?

Secondly a general route, with some stop overs? After anything really. So long as the kids can have a swim...I've done campsites and wild in the past. I think we would rather avoid the motorways, but also don't want to spend too longer driving as well...

So any tips and advice is most welcome

Thanks

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
First of all, welcome.

Others more expert will be along no doubt. I went down through the Brenner Pass through the Dolomites last year. Stayed at a campsite at Nattereisee just SW of Innsbruck, excellent facilities. Then through the Brenner down to Lake Garda, staying at Camping Butterfly at Peschiera Del Garda.

No problem on the autostrada, except Italian drivers like to seriously tailgate before pulling out and will cut in very sharply. You get used to it. (van is 6.59m long, 2.35m wide). The cities I don't know about. Stayed aires in France and stellplatzes in Germany on the way down. If you want campsites, can recommend the ACSI handbook giving good discounts out of the main season.

You'll need a vignette sticker in Austria if you use the autobahns, 7.70 euro if my memory is correct (might not be).

HTH

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nothing to Italy, at least as far a Florence.

Search this site for The Italian Job. We did it all for you last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
went to lake garda last summer and no problems at all

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we went to italy for the 1st time last year with no probs, we are going again this year to the same area you are heading to. we heard scare mongers saying that it was hectic driving there and they are aggressive on the road but its far from that:winky: the only place you will see driving like that starts at dover when you come home :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Driven all over Italy.. Like Germany the people, police and the whole country are all camper friendly

We stay a few days in Italy and travel about a bit there before moving on, and love the whole laid back country

About the only vague difficulty is LPG

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Had my VW Kamper stolen in Rome a few years ago.

Be very vigilant about security, after all it is someone else's campervan you're taking.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like W D says.. Be vigilant ..
If you stay north of say, Perugia, you will have to be less so !

And I would personally avoid Rome.. ( I know others have not had a problem but..... )

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Hi there,

I'm returning to campervans with my family after not having driven them for about 20 years. I am planning on driving down to Florence with a borrowed camper. Its a fairly standard sized one now. Not massive and not VW campervan size. Sorry I don't know the brand, and I can't remember the dimensions of the top of my head...A couple of queries, if anyone can help.

Firstly, is I've heard that Italy can be a little difficult with a camper. How true is this? I know we won't go into Florence itself, but other trips from where are based could be fun? So what will driving in Italy be like?

Secondly a general route, with some stop overs? After anything really. So long as the kids can have a swim...I've done campsites and wild in the past. I think we would rather avoid the motorways, but also don't want to spend too longer driving as well...

So any tips and advice is most welcome

Thanks
Hi Went to Lucca at town centre aire then lakes Garda and Como last year and had no problems at all. Mind you we live in Spain so are a little used to their driving . Take care with a little more vigilance and you'll be fine. ENJOY

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Forth time in five years for us this summer not a bad drive at all we go to Dunkirk then Belguim Lux Swiss not bad on tolls

Regards

Lampie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Forth time in five years for us this summer
Lampie

Sounds like you are well infected too. Grand country.

If you haven't tried it, small site in Cannero Riviera, Maggiore. Glorious position. It is overrun by Germans but as long as you are not Polish they'll not invade your pitch. Lovely little village, a bit spoiled by the HapiMag development but still a joy to explore the back streets and the hidden waterfall.

OP
OP
H

hermanmunster

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just borrowing one
Exp
I'm new
Thank you for all your replies, put my mind at rest and given me some more research to do...

However please feel free to keep them coming in...its not like I haven't got plenty of time between now and the summer to investigate...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back