Timberland Motorhomes Going Bust! (1 Viewer)

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
I heard a rumour at The Stratford show that Timberland Motorhomes were about to be placed in the hands of the receivers. Anyone know if this is true, or is it just one of those rumours put out by competitors.

Mind you, every time I passed them at Newbury their stand looked empty compared to others, so maybe its true. Anyone heard anything?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On reading this post, I just searched for "Timberland" on this site and found a Spam post made last week whilst I was away at Stratford, somehow I missed it. :Doh: The Spam was telling us all about a new timberland website. :RollEyes: So I doubt that they would be launching a new website if they were going bust, so this is probably just another of those rumours that competitors spread.
I am sure they are still in the motorhome business and they are definitely in the :spam: business:Doh:

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi

Yes we have heard the same rumour as well but don't know if its true or not..........

Shell

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
After reading this thread, I decided to visit their webpage and found this text on their frontpage:

Timberland Motorhomes said:
Forget the rumours – we’re going places in comfort & style…
Timberland Motorhomes has just launched this redesigned website with the emphasis on style, functionality and fulfilment of customer requirements.
Launch of the new website coincides with Timberland’s transfer of its main product display to the company’s Forever Leisure dealership at South Witham on the A1 northbound between Stamford and Grantham in Lincolnshire.
provides a showcase for the Kirmington, North Lincolnshire, company’s own brand of luxury panel van conversions, its franchises Adria, Autocruise, Auto-Trail and Burstner, plus an impressive line-up of pre-owned Motorhomes.

So it would seem that the rumours are just rumours :Smile:

Rasmus

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don't know about the rumours but I passed the Grimsby branch today and the 'vans have all gone and it was closed - don't know about the main branch though.

Edit - Just seen this on O&OLLink Removed
Looks as though they are still ok. Pity about them closing Grimsby though as it was always worth a glance in passing.

craiggs

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
Funster No
they have closed grimsby and one other i would say there on there way and a good job there service was bad

craiggs

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
Funster No
they had 3 round here and the one on the A1 now they only have 2 i belive

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
Seems like the rumours were true, the word on the web is that the bank pulled the overdraft. On another forum a supplier claims he was stiffed by them and will lose thousands. Sign of the times I suppose. Only the fittest manufacturers/suppliers are going to survive this one:Sad:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Kevin Cain the owner has posted on another site that he's pulled the plug on Timberland, and bought the assets of the receiver, a Phoenix company. He claims this was forced on him by the bank, and by his actions he has safe guarded the jobs of his existing employees as he intends to continue trading.

He also says that all existing Timberland warranties will be honoured. Pity about his suppliers, but that's one of the hazards of business.

Olley

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
I think I saw the same statement then. Phoenix companies are a great way to get out of paying your bills and then carrying on as nothing has happened. :Angry: Years ago I supplied goods to a printing company, they never paid the invoice, when it was chased up they said it was not owed by them but by the bankrupt company:RollEyes::RollEyes:

It was the same people, sat on the same chairs the only thing that had changed was that they had a healthier balance sheet and people like me were stuffed, 6 months later they had the nerve to place an order with me:Doh:

Phoenix companies should be illegal
, if you go bust the old directors should not be able to run the new company with the same or similar names, even with honest intentions it smacks of cheating to the suppliers that lose out. Though in my experience its a vehicle used by dishonest people to get out of paying their debts.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I think one of the other posts put it very succinctly,
if I lend you ten pounds I still expect you to pay me, even if you changed your name by deed poll.

Olley

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
I think one of the other posts put it very succinctly,
if I lend you ten pounds I still expect you to pay me, even if you changed your name by deed poll.

Olley

As a supplier, you are a lender, you are giving 30 or 60 days credit, only then to be smacked in the mouth and literally stolen from; Its business I suppose, but it does leave a sour taste. In troubled times Phoenix companies probably wont have problems finding other suppliers, but if those suppliers have any sense they won't extend them a line of credit:Eeek: I certainly would not risk supplying or buying from a phoenix company - Caveat emptor Buyers beware

reeventu

Free Member
Jan 19, 2010
Funster No
The only way IMO is to boycott the new company if you are a supplier. Forget the ' I will be able to pay you a bit extra if you will deal with me' etc.

From a customer point of view there is little you can do BUT do not consider buying from them if your feelings are strong enough.

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
I would not buy from a phoenix company on principal (because of my past experiences) This outfit says it is honouring warranties and guarantees from their pre-bankrupt business. that is better than some, that said they would be bankrupt again if they lost all existing customers and the little credibility (if any) they have managed to come through this with.

Also I don't buy the "we were perfect it was the banks fault" if that were the truth there would be no dealers anywhere.

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Timberland

I can confirm that Timberland did go into Administration but that there was a management buy out and they are now trading as before under the name of Woodland Motorhomes trading as Timberland Motorhomes. Apparently the staff are the same so there should be no changes for their customers.

BobT

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I can confirm that Timberland did go into Administration but that there was a management buy out and they are now trading as before under the name of Woodland Motorhomes trading as Timberland Motorhomes. Apparently the staff are the same so there should be no changes for their customers.

BobT

Thanks for that confirmation. I was wondering what was going on. I have not bought from Timberland but have had a look around there vans, They are exceptional in my view and the staff always seem really helpful and interested.

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
Apparently the staff are the same so there should be no changes for their customers.

BobT

That's as I understand it. Customers have promises that they will be looked after by the phoenix company and all their suppliers will have to swallow:Angry: I bet the new company find money to pay some of the old bills, ones they will want to keep sweet, like the show organisers, most others will get stiffed as they always do when administrators take over, meanwhile they carry on business as usual:Doh:

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I'm with Weejocky here and I speak as a businessman myself. I love the comment by one bloke where he says that it's a pity about the suppliers, but that's one of the hazard of business! I hope that he is never defrauded of enough money to make him lose his house, through no fault of his own.

Hiding behind the Limited Liability laws to cheat your suppliers, whilst you carry on as usual in your new company is unprincipled and disgraceful and it shouldn't be one of the hazards of business!

A friend of mine who's a builder, lost his company and his home when his firm collapsed when a property developer, with whom he'd done business for three or four years, suddenly went into administration, owing him tens of thousands.

Needless to say, the property developer started again the next day and is still running around in his expensive car.

I'm speaking in general terms here as I have no idea of the Timberland administration but if it's true what's been said, that suppliers have not been paid, then Timberland will be off my list the next time I want a new 'van.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Tom tee
As a bussinesman also I totally agree with the above. We have been "done" many times with companys going into reciervership wipeing all debts only to continue trading with the wife or some other mug as "director". It is a ridiculous legal way to rid yourself of debts and its about time one of our muppets I meen members of parliament put a stop too it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its again all about personal responsibility. dont borrow dont lend . if you do lend it as to be monitored .when i ran my business i lost some customers because i wouldnt give credit. but at least i only lost customers. better everyone in businesses holds the reins abit tighter . be in charge of your own business and not a slave to the banks. if you borrow you must pay back .thats how it works.
after al a customer that dont pay is not the customer you want.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Tom tee
As a bussinesman also I totally agree with the above. We have been "done" many times with companys going into reciervership wipeing all debts only to continue trading with the wife or some other mug as "director". It is a ridiculous legal way to rid yourself of debts and its about time one of our muppets I meen members of parliament put a stop too it.

Been done once only, with the administration / restart jobbie.
I am selective as to my clients now.
If debtors dont pay after a reasonable time, my intention is to go to the small claims court before they stuff me.
Not had to do this as yet, as I am in a position as to able to withdraw my services immediately.
If that puts them into administration, fine. That's my doing, not thiers.
A debt is a bebt and must be repaid.
John

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
Timberland Motorhome flags are flying, they have a large stand at the MMM show, they are probably selling a few, all the while the suppliers that they have not paid will be struggling. Its just not right, in fact it might be within the law, but it stinks. I will be writing to my MP. Companies like this that duck their responsibilities just cannot be trusted,they then sell to the public with no mention that they are a NEW company I say again BUYERS BEWARE, its just a shame most punters don't read the forums:Sad:

craiggs

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
Funster No
service

its wrong we no it they no it but will still take your cash and sell stuff that they have not paid for service what service i had a new motorhome on order from them but i will no get it now gone elswere we all no its hard times when you work for your self but i always pay my bills not take others down as they will

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Its just not right

In which case it's up to the receivers to go for the directors. Directors *are* responsible if they have not obeyed the law with respect to running the business. They cannot just run up big debt with dumb suppliers then declare themselves insolvent, well in theory anyway. I know two cases where the receivers grabbed load of cash back from Directors and in one of the cases the MD went inside for 9 months and lost all the cash he's hidden away.

The real crooks get away with it but Timberland were not the crooks we see on the likes of Watchdog. They have suffered the worse financial conditions in living memory and the banks are looking at after number one not their clients.

reeventu

Free Member
Jan 19, 2010
Funster No
Timberland were not the crooks we see on the likes of Watchdog. They have suffered the worse financial conditions in living memory and the banks are looking at after number one not their clients.

yes they are , morally if not legally, they should run their business accordingly taking heed of the current climate, not cheat their suppliers who have equal problems.:Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
yes they are , morally if not legally, they should run their business accordingly taking heed of the current climate, not cheat their suppliers who have equal problems.:Angry:

How do you know they "cheated" their suppliers ?

Why not ask if the suppliers were monitoring the situation, any fool can just keep sending supplies ignoring the fact that payment are getting sluggish.

If the banks ring up and say "repay your overdraft NOW" what options do they have ? Plenty of cases in the news where this has happened.

Have you forgotten just how fast this financial crisis hit ?

Someone on FUN was slagging them off not long ago and the MD came on here and sorted them out in a very professional way.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If the banks ring up and say "repay your overdraft NOW" what options do they have ?

the whole sorry tale is on the darkside you know the 10£ to post one

one option is not to borrow what you cannot pay back but most of the world at the moment seems to have forgotten that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back