Satnav safety cameras in Europe (1 Viewer)

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
We are off to Europe soon and have a TomTom 750 Live satnav.
Can anyone tell me in which countries it is legal to use the 'Safety Cameras' feature.
AA/RAC websites say 'Radar detectors are illegal in most countries'.
Does this mean that I can't use the feature on my TomTom which gives warning of the location of speed cameras?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The one thing I noticed in France was when a sign warned you of a speed camera ther would definitely be one.

Whereas in the UK the authorities just seem to spread the signs everywhere without actually siting a camera.
The upshot being we all get a bit blasé about warning signs then run past a camera going to fast. Very clever money earning system :Angry:

Any-ways you're on holiday, what's the rush, just stick to the speed limits and chill a bit :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
It is relatively easy to find lists of countries in which the use of Radar or Laser Detectors is banned. In addition, there are a number in which possession is also banned, France being one of them.

I did find a definitive statement on the web sometime in the past for the use of location (GPS) data for the same, but at the moment I can't find it.

AFAIK, however, there are very few countries that ban the use of GPS devices and speed camera databases, as opposed to the 'detection' devices as above. France, for instance, does not (see Link Removed)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Radar detectors are illegal in almost every country but tomtom doesnt use radar......it uses predetermined lat and long positions (POI) to warn you in exactly the same way it tells you when approaching a garage/campsite etc.

point being, sat nav is legal and theres no way of knowing if you use the camera database unless you look in the satnavs menu.

Thiery

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
Radar detectors are illegal in almost every country but tomtom doesnt use radar......it uses predetermined lat and long positions (POI) to warn you in exactly the same way it tells you when approaching a garage/campsite etc.

point being, sat nav is legal and theres no way of knowing if you use the camera database unless you look in the satnavs menu.

I assumed it was as I use mine all the time. :winky: As well as speed warning signs. In France when somebody flashes with headlights coming in the opposite direction its a good indication that gendarmes are up ahead doing a mobile speed control or generally keeping an eye.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
I have travelled in Europe fairly frequently over the last 12 years, always used a Sat Nav with Speed Camera locations that are regulary updated. My understanding is that Sat navs are not illegal but radar detectors are. However, you can always go to one of the main clubs (CC or C&CC) and ask for their opinion/advice.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
this year i bought a new map of spain and portugal, it came with all the speed camera sites in the two countries. so tom tom,s sites are in the public domane i would think.

the map i bought was a cepsa map .shows lots of local names for beaches not normaly on most maps. also all cepsa fuel stations .
needed a new one as my last one was bought in 1974.
cheers alan,

OP
OP
strathspey

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
Satnav safety cameras

Thanks folks for all the useful suggestions. Based on what has been said, I'll use the Tomtom and disable the cameras while in Germany.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
It would be simple enough to make the speed cameras into a different POI type. You could have them named as something else with a different icon & still use them so I can't see the point of any country making them illegal :RollEyes:

Use a free program such as POIconverter to import the speed cameras, then save the file as something else i.e. junctions - bridges anyhting you like. Use a different icon (there are plenty built into Tomtom) then copy them back onto your device :thumb:

I have my Tomtom set to warn me of the speed limits & make a noise if I exceed it, had one momentary lapse in France & went through a 90 km speed camera at 93 kms :Blush: (this was on the Tomtom speed) camera flashed :Doh: I normally stay under the limit but we had just been told that we should move from an aire as there was some sort of event going on & it might be a bit noisy. So in the rush to find somewhere I wasn't concentrating :Sad: haven't heard anything yet but would have to accept it if it comes.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
It would be simple enough to make the speed cameras into a different POI type. You could have them named as something else with a different icon & still use them so I can't see the point of any country making them illegal :RollEyes:

Use a free program such as POIconverter to import the speed cameras, then save the file as something else i.e. junctions - bridges anyhting you like. Use a different icon (there are plenty built into Tomtom) then copy them back onto your device :thumb:

I have my Tomtom set to warn me of the speed limits & make a noise if I exceed it, had one momentary lapse in France & went through a 90 km speed camera at 93 kms :Blush: (this was on the Tomtom speed) camera flashed :Doh: I normally stay under the limit but we had just been told that we should move from an aire as there was some sort of event going on & it might be a bit noisy. So in the rush to find somewhere I wasn't concentrating :Sad: haven't heard anything yet but would have to accept it if it comes.

Some cameras flash you as a warning if your just over the limit without ticketing you.:Doh:

Fingers crossed :Smile:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Thiery, it's just the same with headlight flashing here in Scotland. Even fairer, the vans here put out warning signs as well, so you're a wee numpty to get caught here. (Fingers and toes tightly crossed.)

Interesting verbal point though. Is a "Radar detector" only something that itself actually detects radar, i.e. receives the transmission? I think - I'm not sure - it used to be illegal to listen deliberately to police radio transmissions. ( How they'd prove it is a different matter) I wonder if this could be used by a keen prosecutor here?

The SatNav, as has been pointed out, detects the presence of radar by receiving a transmission from a third party - the satellite. Is this any different from receiving a transmission of a light signal, i.e. headlights.

Finally, can one of our recently retired policemen confirm if it is an offence if I flash my headlights to warn on-coming traffic? ("Sorry, officer, what do you mean, I was signalling that I intended to turn right, silly me.")

Quick, nurse, the screens!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back