Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I was contemplating leaving a little present for any would be intruders whilst i left the van for christmas

As pepper spray can be bought freely in Italy, i was dreaming up a way to flood the RV with the gas on activation of the alarm.

Any thoughts?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was contemplating leaving a little present for any would be intruders whilst i left the van for christmas

As pepper spray can be bought freely in Italy, i was dreaming up a way to flood the RV with the gas on activation of the alarm.

Any thoughts?

Yes. You or your family are certain to trip it.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
There are two things to consider....

These are illegal in the UK, and are considered 'offensive weapons'. Sad, but true:Angry:

If you were to set one of in your MH, I'm guessing that it wouldn't be a nice place to live for some weeks afterwards, as I'm pretty certain that the chemicals would be pervasive, and get into your soft furnishings.

I really haven't a clue how you could set one off remotely, but I imagine it wouldn't be easy unless you posess a peculiar set of skills.

Good luck::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Just wire the chassis to the mains, no less legal but much more effective I would have thought.:Cool:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
THe person setting off the spray is the intruder but possession may be an offence. Why not substitute the pepper spray with a Smartwater device?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Knowing the stupid PC brigade in the UK now you will no doubt be charged with assault and infringement of his human rights and the yob will no doubt sue you for damages and win.

You could get a 'smoke out' device fitted, we have one in our TV wholesalers warehouse, it completely fogs out everything..........

Bit expensive though.

Peter

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Also - its a long shot but you have to consider that someone unknown to you may enter your MH legally ie the police or more often the fire brigade if for instance a fire started. they wount appreciate being sprayed with pepper whilst trying to save your van. thats why these type or intruder devices are illegal. i suppose we care more than other countries here

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
try one of these

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc"]car alarm[/ame]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pepper spray.....

having accidently been on the receiving end of this stuff, or maybe it was Mace.... in no frame of mind to ask at the time :Doh:, i can confirm it is the best intruder repeller known to man...... short of a gun or tazer. :thumb:

shame its illegal here but if it wasnt it would only be abused. :Sad:

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

This reminds me of when we had the feed store just before we retired.

The lowlife broke in one night and it leaves you wanting their blood

I installed, in the entrance passageway a perfectly legal alarm gun that fires a BLANK 12 gauge shotgun cartridge via a very discreet trip wire.

Within a few days the shop cat got in before I could get in and dis-arm it and set it off (it never went in through the front door ever again).

I knew it was there and set it off twice by accident and believe me both times it rooted me to the spot.

The third time the lowlife got through the first door and set it off and they never touched the second door.

I would love to have seen their expressions as they fled the scene

Anyone want one?--- just ask

Cheers Alan

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The problem is that the Pepper Spay you buy in France is highly directional and needs to be aimed fairly well.

There are better ways to deter lowlife, a totally legal high intensity noise alarm works well, you can't stand near if for very long!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i was told by a lady traveller years ago best type of defence in you van is a wasp nest spray . it fires along way and you really dont want it in your face. its legal to go through borders and lasts for ages you can buy them all over the place .only of use if you are awake but thought i would mention it.

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
We are leaving the van in Italy, in a "secure" facility near Naples no less.

Pepper spray is legal here, and luckily Italy has not been cursed with the PC plague, so no worries about defending my property with a sprinkling of mace or a shotgun if i so choose

As for the fire brigade, by the time they get to a motor home fire, they will probably need breathing apparatus anyway.

I was thinking of the south African anti-jacking flame-thrower as i wrote the first post actually! I think i saw it on tomorrows world some years ago

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back