antifreeze for drinking water (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Is there such a thing as drinking water system antifreeze. I wont be drinking it but some water could remain in the system pipework and pump following draining.
Buttons

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Whiskey !!!!!!!!

nice idea but not practical really.

dont know of any 'antifreeze' that is not toxic.

only way i can think to expell all the water would be an unrestricted airline.

blow through the pipework and should remove last dregs of water but you would need to disconnect the pump.

not really worth the effort as any remaining water that did freeze would be able to expand along the pipes.

as long as the pipes, boiler and tank are drained and the taps left open there shouldnt be a problem.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Only one thing I would add to pappajohns very good post would be to take filter off pump and dry, had one freeze once and damage pump.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks pappajohn...I guess that you are right but I think that I remember a post about frost damage to a seal or something. Perhaps pumping a bottle of gin through before draining could help.:Smile:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Non toxic or 'potable' antifreeze is widely available for boat, RV and presumably motorhome water systems.

Here is a UK source:

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Only one thing I would add to pappajohns very good post would be to take filter off pump and dry, had one freeze once and damage pump.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Ooops.....cheers dave, i forgot that important and expensive bit.

even better....... remove the element and loosly refit the filter housing lid to keep the bugs out, take the element indoors and allow to dry, put it in something to keep the dust/muck off then simply refit in the spring:thumb:

another idea is to drive up a steepish hill to empty the waste pipes running to the waste tank.....these will also freeze if they have a 'U' bend (trap) in line.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Non toxic or 'potable' antifreeze is widely available for boat, RV and presumably motorhome water systems.

Here is a UK source:

Link Removed

well i stand corrected.....:Blush:
you learn something new every day.:thumb:
but cheap it aint, £14 :Eeek:....got to be worth draining down instead if not being used over winter.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
well i stand corrected.....:Blush:
you learn something new every day.:thumb:
but cheap it aint, £14 :Eeek:....got to be worth draining down instead if not being used over winter.

Cheaper than a blown tap, or shower head! Had both of those split are being caught out one year. Tap was £110, shower head £27.

Drain and leave all taps open, kitchen one in the centre postion and open to allow flow from hot and cold. Some have pipe drain valves, you will have to look around for them, but if they have these will empty the pipes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back