Unlocked 3 dongle which SIM's work (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have just received my free 3 dongle and hopefully unlocked it, but i can't get my Virgin SIM to be recognised,

The dongle will recognise a 3 SIM also it recognises an old Orange SIM and a Vodafone SIM albeit neither of them will allow me to connect to the internet which I think is more to do with the age in the case the Orange one and from what i can read on the net a PAYG Vodafone SIM shouldn't work in a dongle.

The main problem is why won't it see my Virgin SIM I have tried to different Virgin SIM's but the dongle reports that it can't find a SIM installed

Any suggestions please, hope it makes sense

Braunston

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi,

I have just received my free 3 dongle and hopefully unlocked it, but i can't get my Virgin SIM to be recognised,

The dongle will recognise a 3 SIM also it recognises an old Orange SIM and a Vodafone SIM albeit neither of them will allow me to connect to the internet which I think is more to do with the age in the case the Orange one and from what i can read on the net a PAYG Vodafone SIM shouldn't work in a dongle.

The main problem is why won't it see my Virgin SIM I have tried to different Virgin SIM's but the dongle reports that it can't find a SIM installed

Any suggestions please, hope it makes sense

Braunston

I have o2/3/vodafone payg/sims all working on the unlocked dongle setting for each provider are different

did you use the free software to unlock ?

Link Removed

regards

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Yes I did use the free software to unlock it and everything appeared to go fine, but it still makes me wonder if it did actually work ??

I notice that you can get a Vodafone PAYG SIM to work, the dongle accepted that it had a SIM in it when I used the Vodafone SIM but it wouldn't allow me to connect.

I did a search on google and found the Vodafone forum and one of the Vodafone chaps stated that it wouldn't work on PAYG he stated that only one of their contract SIM's would work, so i didn't take it any further.

I didn't have any credit on the Vodafone SIM either, I did try the settings that you show but i couldn't get past GO ?

The 3 SIM works fine, I haven't got an O2 one to try, I will try and get one later today just to see if it works,

But I am still wondering if its unlocked albeit it does reconise the Voda and Orange SIM's but it dosen't even see either of the 2 Virgin SIM's just keeps looking and reporting no SIM installed

Thanks for your help

This is a link to the Vodafone forum where I read the info above, the last reply in the thread

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30145

I have o2/3/vodafone payg/sims all working on the unlocked dongle setting for each provider are different

did you use the free software to unlock ?

Link Removed

regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi,

Yes I did use the free software to unlock it and everything appeared to go fine, but it still makes me wonder if it did actually work ??

I notice that you can get a Vodafone PAYG SIM to work, the dongle accepted that it had a SIM in it when I used the Vodafone SIM but it wouldn't allow me to connect.

I did a search on google and found the Vodafone forum and one of the Vodafone chaps stated that it wouldn't work on PAYG he stated that only one of their contract SIM's would work, so i didn't take it any further.

I didn't have any credit on the Vodafone SIM either, I did try the settings that you show but i couldn't get past GO ?

The 3 SIM works fine, I haven't got an O2 one to try, I will try and get one later today just to see if it works,

But I am still wondering if its unlocked albeit it does reconise the Voda and Orange SIM's but it dosen't even see either of the 2 Virgin SIM's just keeps looking and reporting no SIM installed

Thanks for your help

This is a link to the Vodafone forum where I read the info above, the last reply in the thread

Where Can I Buy Payg Vodafone Internet Sim Without Dongle - Vodafone eForum

I have two phones with vodafone one is a payg the other is contract, whilst on a trip we couldn't get a signal for either the 3 network or o2 ;but both the payg and the contract sim's worked fine.

If you used the free unlocker it should have removed the 3 software connection manager, Remove from add and remove any software relating to 3 reboot then put your dongle in,if it tries to install the 3 software then its possible your unlocking has not worked.In this case you would need to go through the unlocking process again, it takes about 20 mins and when complete will say that it has been sucessful.

You will also need to install the telstra connection manager that came with the free download software.

you will need to get o2 sim from here scroll down for description

regards

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

The unlocking software has removed the 3 software as it does not autorun at the start and i checked the update had changed the dongles software number.

I use the Telstra connection manager that came with the unlocking software as you suggest, but thats the software that reports that I don't have either of the Virgin SIM's installed, it shows the dongle is connected to the computer but no SIM installed, albeit it does show the Orange and Vodafone SIM's

Thanks for your advice, I will get an O2 SIM and try it, but I really wanted the Virgin one to work.

I have two phones with vodafone one is a payg the other is contract, whilst on a trip we couldn't get a signal for either the 3 network or o2 ;but both the payg and the contract sim's worked fine.

If you used the free unlocker it should have removed the 3 software connection manager, Remove from add and remove any software relating to 3 reboot then put your dongle in,if it tries to install the 3 software then its possible your unlocking has not worked.In this case you would need to go through the unlocking process again, it takes about 20 mins and when complete will say that it has been sucessful.

You will also need to install the telstra connection manager that came with the free download software.

you will need to get o2 sim from here scroll down for description

regards

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, The settings I have in the Telstra coonection manager for my Vodafone SIM is as follows

Config File:- Vodafone GPRS
Dial Number :- Blank
User Name:- web
Password:- web

ticked:- save user name and password

Use the following APN name:- pp.vodafone.co.uk

PDP type :- IP ticked

Authentication Mode:- PAP ticked

Ticked:- Obtain DNS server automatic

Ticked:- Obtain PDP address automatic

can you see anything wrong with these settings

Thanks

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Success with the Vodafone PAYG SIM, added *99# to the above settings and bingo it connected, so it appears the dongle must be unlocked ??

Any further suggestions on the possible problems with the Virgin SIM's

Do any of you know the internet connection charges for a PAYG Vodafone SIM

Thanks

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi,

Success with the Vodafone PAYG SIM, added *99# to the above settings and bingo it connected, so it appears the dongle must be unlocked ??

Thanks

Sounds like things are ok as for the virgin sim there are different configurations for the virgin payg /contract/;but if its coming up with not recognised not come across that? you could get one free paygsim see if that works ;but will cost £20/month.

3 is £10 will last a month and run out whether you use it or not::bigsmile:

Vodafone 50p/day so credit will give you 20 days surfing doesn't run out till money gone::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

o2 £10 unlimited for 12mnths ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I'm going to order one of those free virgin payg see if it works

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Those O2 iphone SIM's seem to be to good to be true, knowing my luck it either won't work or they will change the offer.

Thanks for you help its really apreciated

Sounds like things are ok as for the virgin sim there are different configurations for the virgin payg /contract/;but if its coming up with not recognised not come across that? you could get one free paygsim see if that works ;but will cost £20/month.

3 is £10 will last a month and run out whether you use it or not::bigsmile:

Vodafone 50p/day so credit will give you 20 days surfing::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

o2 £10 unlimited for 12mnths ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I'm going to order one of those free virgin payg see if it works

Regards

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi,

Those O2 iphone SIM's seem to be to good to be true, knowing my luck it either won't work or they will change the offer.

Thanks for you help its really apreciated

Well they were £5 but have since increased in price £9.99, i have recently ordered two for family members no problems they still have them in stock, believe me it works ::bigsmile:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I bought an O2 iPhone SIM from eBay, loaded up with £10 credit, and have the "free internet" access for 12 months.

BUT you need to be patient, the connection is not quick, although I haven't done a speed test, it certainly put me in mind of the old dial up modems.

That said, it is cheap and reliable, with good coverage, and as long as you choose relatively low graphics web-pages (like Motorhome Fun), no problem.

And if all else fails, you end up with £10 calling credit on your SIM card.

Steve

jackiehour

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Sunny Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Seriously since 2007
O2 Sim card

Hi, I have been reading these posts with interest, and have looked on eBay for an O2 iphone sim card and noted the following warning:

We have recently heard from our customers that O2 is trying to block the internet on these cards which are not being used on iPhones. It is really a matter of luck as far as we can see. Some of them get a message after a few months that their free internet will stop working in next 30 days. You will still have your credit on the card and it will work as normal PAYGo cards do but this bonus internet might stop. So please keep that in mind

Jackie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, I have been reading these posts with interest, and have looked on eBay for an O2 iphone sim card and noted the following warning:

We have recently heard from our customers that O2 is trying to block the internet on these cards which are not being used on iPhones. It is really a matter of luck as far as we can see. Some of them get a message after a few months that their free internet will stop working in next 30 days. You will still have your credit on the card and it will work as normal PAYGo cards do but this bonus internet might stop. So please keep that in mind

Jackie

well, I guess it was only a matter of time before o2 got wise and tried to stop it..
so far mine has been ok..

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

My real concern is that if the neither of the 2 Virgin SIM's I have tried in the dongle were not reconised then with my sort of luck the iPhone O2 SIM may not be seen either.

I just had a bid on eBay for one of the iPhone o2 SIM's it wasn't from the one who is selling them at £9.99 buy now, the bidding started at 99p GUESS what price it ended at ????, it didn't have any credit on it either, and remember the £9.99 buy now offer still appears to be open

Well they were £5 but have since increased in price £9.99, i have recently ordered two for family members no problems they still have them in stock, believe me it works ::bigsmile:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi,

My real concern is that if the neither of the 2 Virgin SIM's I have tried in the dongle were not reconised then with my sort of luck the iPhone O2 SIM may not be seen either.

I just had a bid on eBay for one of the iPhone o2 SIM's it wasn't from the one who is selling them at £9.99 buy now, the bidding started at 99p GUESS what price it ended at ????, it didn't have any credit on it either, and remember the £9.99 buy now offer still appears to be open

The link i gave you were to sims i have purchased all of which have been delivered promptly and have worked n the unlocked 3 dongle.there are several other ebayers selling o2 sims could be they are not the 12mnth ones?;but can't vouch for them.

As far as your virgin sims, maybe they are not compatible for 3g data ;however have sent off for some free ones see if they will work.

Regards

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
I don't think I explained myself correctly, the one I bid on was an iphone PAYG SIM with free Internet but no credit it hadn't been used, and the bidding started at 99p however even though the link you gave still had them for £9.99 the bidding on this one went to £16.50, which was ridiculous when they could have purchased the same thing for £9.99, I think its in the bidding process some people lose sight of the price and just want to WIN.

I may purchase on of them from the link you gave so thanks, but i really want top try an get a Virgin SIM to work as they appear to get the best signal where i have my Narrowboat.

Thanks again for all of your help and assistance its really appreciated

As fa180846]your virgin sims, maybe they are not cave tible for 3g data ;however have sent off for some free ones see if they will work.

Regards[/QUOTE]

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I don't think I explained myself correctly, the one I bid on was an iphone PAYG SIM with free Internet but no credit it hadn't been used, and the bidding started at 99p however even though the link you gave still had them for £9.99 the bidding on this one went to £16.50, which was ridiculous when they could have purchased the same thing for £9.99, I think its in the bidding process some people lose sight of the price and just want to WIN.

I may purchase on of them from the link you gave so thanks, but i really want top try an get a Virgin SIM to work as they appear to get the best signal where i have my Narrowboat.

Thanks again for all of your help and assistance its really appreciated

As fa180846]your virgin sims, maybe they are not cave tible for 3g data ;however have sent off for some free ones see if they will work.

Regards
[/QUOTE]

Often the case if people are daft enough to bid above the actual cost :Doh:think they put it in as a bid : but you can't buy less than the buy now price

is your boat moored at braunston? i guess you would need several sims as coverage for each sim are different depending where you moored up.

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

You are correct about needing several SIM when we go out in the boat, I have a 3 SIM that I use in the phone and the dongle, it does work in most of the area around our moorings which are at a place called Napton-on-the-Hill, its not far from Braunston about 15 mins by car 4/5 hours by boat, :ROFLMAO:,

The main place i can only get a signal with Virgin is on our mooring, I have tried a number of other SIM's but the best signal appears to be with them, thats the main reason I want to try and get it to work.

Often the case if people are daft enough to bid above the actual cost :Doh:think they put it in as a bid : but you can't buy less than the buy now price

is your boat moored at braunston? i guess you would need several sims as coverage for each sim are different depending where you moored up.[/QUOTE]

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi,

You are correct about needing several SIM when we go out in the boat, I have a 3 SIM that I use in the phone and the dongle, it does work in most of the area around our moorings which are at a place called Napton-on-the-Hill, its not far from Braunston

Yea know it well passed there many times on my narrow boat, are you on that arm at napton top lock or further on near the folly pie pub? I was allway's glad to get there as it was all down hill from there::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Regards

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

We are on the Engine Arm at Holt Farm just above Napton top lock and just below Maston Dolls.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi,

We are on the Engine Arm at Holt Farm just above Napton top lock and just below Maston Dolls.

Yea that's the place i was thinking of often wondered how them boats further down the arm managed to manoeuvre out guess its reverse in or reverse out:Sad:

tyrangie1

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Unlock

Hi all
I have a 3 dongle and would like to unlock it can you tell me where to get the free software.
Thanks Angie :Smile:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi all
I have a 3 dongle and would like to unlock it can you tell me where to get the free software.
Thanks Angie :Smile:

Hi Angie Link Removed select free user

regards

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi,

Thanks

Hi

I have a 3 dongle and unlocked it.

If you are using a Vodafone SIM you can use the Vodafone Mobile Connect software and everything works first time, no settings or configuration.

You can download it for free Link Removed

:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

We have a winding hole just over half way down, and lucky enough I moor in the first half so i don't need to reverse at all. We also have a swing bridge so you don't need to walk the length of the arm to get to the otherside. Its a great place to moor the views are wonderful across to the windmill and its very very quiet.

Yea that's the place i was thinking of often wondered how them boats further down the arm managed to manoeuvre out guess its reverse in or reverse out:Sad:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi

I have a 3 dongle and unlocked it.

If you are using a Vodafone SIM you can use the Vodafone Mobile Connect software and everything works first time, no settings or configuration.

You can download it for free Link Removed

:thumb:

what's the cost of using this connect ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
what's the cost of using this connect ?

Hi

I don't believe there is any dollar cost .. but there are other considerations..

6. Unique Identifier

When you install this Software an anonymous unique identifier (UID) is created at random. The UID does not allow Vodafone to identify any individual users by name. It cannot be used to monitor which web sites have been visited or e-mail addresses contacted by users. Using this UID, the following types of non-personal information will be forwarded to Vodafone when you connect to the Vodafone network:

a) Version and configuration of the Software
b) Connectivity methods, such as infrared and Bluetooth, and devices used
c) Web browser and email software version details
d) Laptop manufacturer product ID
e) Session information
f) When roaming, the country code and the mobile network to which you are connected.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi

I don't believe there is any dollar cost .. but there are other considerations..

6. Unique Identifier

When you install this Software an anonymous unique identifier (UID) is created at random. The UID does not allow Vodafone to identify any individual users by name. It cannot be used to monitor which web sites have been visited or e-mail addresses contacted by users. Using this UID, the following types of non-personal information will be forwarded to Vodafone when you connect to the Vodafone network:

a) Version and configuration of the Software
b) Connectivity methods, such as infrared and Bluetooth, and devices used
c) Web browser and email software version details
d) Laptop manufacturer product ID
e) Session information
f) When roaming, the country code and the mobile network to which you are connected.

Thought that may be the case ;but wasn't sure,probably a good thing ;but if installed it may prevent Telstra download manager from working.

regards

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,

Braunston

Daft question of the year...

I've just unlocked my 3 dongle. I have a Voda SIM off the ebay, complete with £15 credit, but how do I top this up ? It came with no documentation. I have worked out the phone number, I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back