bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
has anybody fitted or had any experiances with awning rails fitted to the side of their motorhomes.
i am thinking of fitting an awning rail to the side so i can attach a porch awning whilst away.
any input would be much appreciated.

may the force be with you:Cool:::bigsmile::thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Bevo

We fitted an awning rail to the side of our motorhome to accomodate a porch awning.
I was not happy with the thought of drilling into the side panel, so I attached it using Sikaflex. Two years later it is still there and has been no problem at all when using it.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Brisey - which particular Sikaflex product did you use ? :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Dellwood

As I recall it was Sikaflex 512.

Sikaflex 512 caravan/motorhome adhesive and sealant.
This is a purpose-designed adhesive and sealant for build and repair of caravans, motorhomes and trailers. simple and easy to use, strong waterproof joints, elastic and non shrink.

OP
OP
bevo

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
further to my request for information on fitting an awning rail.
i took brisey's advice and fixed the rail to the side of the van with sikaflex 512.
it was straight forward and easy.
i have not used sikaflex before and found it very easy to use and it doesn't go off straight away giving time for final positioning.
it's been on for 2 weeks now and i'm made up with the rail.
bought a riversway leisure mobil 300 drive away awning which was good value at 149:99.
on the zips it says royal,and the quality is exellent.
anyway thanks to brisey as i didn't fancy drilling 36 holes in the side of the van.

live long and prosper:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
fixing kit

As an alternative for others - I bought a fixing kit for £20, - one edge slides through the ridge along my Fiemma awning and the other edge fixes to a caravan awning. Just an idea and no holes in the MH.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
anyway thanks to brisey as i didn't fancy drilling 36 holes in the side of the van.

How about two then ?

I, personally, would be seriously worried that it might come off on a motorway and kill some biker.

A bit of insurance would not go amiss.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
good point

How about two then ?

I, personally, would be seriously worried that it might come off on a motorway and kill some biker.

A bit of insurance would not go amiss.

Good point, being a biker myself :Doh:

thepaulyc

Free Member
Aug 2, 2013
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
A great tip!

further to my request for information on fitting an awning rail.
i took brisey's advice and fixed the rail to the side of the van with sikaflex 512.
it was straight forward and easy.
i have not used sikaflex before and found it very easy to use and it doesn't go off straight away giving time for final positioning.
bought a riversway leisure mobil 300 drive away awning which was good value at 149:99.
on the zips it says royal,and the quality is exellent.

live long and prosper:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

Thanks to brisey and bevo for this tip.. Just fitted an awning rail to my van with Sikaflex 512. Couldn't agree more gents, so much easier and less stressful than drilling so many holes in the van.

Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
As an alternative for others - I bought a fixing kit for £20, - one edge slides through the ridge along my Fiemma awning and the other edge fixes to a caravan awning. Just an idea and no holes in the MH.

That's ok for driveaway awnings,but,with a porch awning it's best to get awning as close to van body as possible to eliminate draughts and flapping of sides.
Those fixing kits mean that the awning is attached about 6" out from van,maybe a touch more.

Mike

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
We have an awning rail which has been on our van for the past seven years or more. We have never experienced any problems with it. Our Caravanstore Zip awning is ideal as it is all packed inside a bag and goes on top the roof attached to the roof rail while on the move. We have another bag in the locker with the sides and front inside.

We travel extensively through France, Spain and Portugal for six months of the year and I wouldn't be without it.

I keep my washing machine in it and do all my cooking outside normally unless we have the unusually high winds. My husband uses it while we are away for his "shed" and continues with his electronic hobby while we are travelling.

As our van is only 6 metres long it is a godsend to have the extra space when we are staying for a couple of months on a site.:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back