tyre inflators (1 Viewer)

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
I know this has been posted before, but its and old (2007) one so the recommended links wouldn't work.
i'm after a tyre inflator/compressor for the rv, but wanted a good bomb-proof one. i've seen and used the £20-£30 halfords type but have found them a bit flimsy and not much good, (admittedly i'm a bit of a blunt instrument at times, and have hands like a gorilla and fingers like sausages!) :Blush:
What i need is the Land Rover Defender of inflators so i know it'll last and i won't "test it's durability" (break it according to my dear lady!)
a friend has a small compressor that he uses to power air tools, and it looks pretty good, but don't know how it'd be for tyres, no guage etc.
any recommedations please?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I bought a Truckair inflator last year and would recommend it highly. Very well made and it does the job quickly. I had earlier tried to buy a Ring version and had to return it as the unit had been assembled poorly (built on a skew). It then turned out that Ring's entire UK stock was the same and as a result, they terminated their supply contract with a Chinese manufacturer.

I got the Truckair from a firm in Staffordshire called Discoparts - a chap called Mark, but it appears that he has ceased trading. His URL now goes to another business altogether and I have seen posts on a Landrover forum suggesting some problems in getting goods that had been paid for.

Truckair is manufactured in the USA by Interdynamics Inc Interdynamics Auto Air Conditioning Products and their UK importer is Cool Products in Poole Link Removed
However, I tried several phone calls to them last year, hoping they could get me an inflator, but I had to chase them several times without success. This might be a business opportunity for anyone with contacts in the USA?

Good luck with the search.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I got this 230v one from here: Link Removed

Works well, I did email ring to confirm it was ok for lorry tyres and they said it was. The advantage to me was that I have external 230v sockets on both side of the RV, so plugging it in is simple using an ordinary extension lead.

Olley

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have the ITC Truckair works off cigar lighter socket. Bought a heavy duty extension to run it off as it seemed to loose power on a light weight lead. Works well, does airbags on suspension and all the RV tyres up to 90psi, little bit slow on the tyres but it does them ok.

Bought off Ebay 18 months ago about £35 I think

I had a Halfords one lasted no time at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
(Re-posted; The original was lost with yesterday's database problem).

hobson, is your Tiffin a diesel or gas (petrol) coach? If diesel, you have an on-board compressor that provides air to the brakes and the air bags. There will also be two connections to the air system - one for a tow truck to release the brakes, and the other for to use to inflate tyres. All you need is an air hose with the appropriate male/female connections and a chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
Re.

Nah TJ, the RV is a 2001 model and doesn't have air brakes or bags! even has wind up windows! (which i actually prefer!) so no we don't have a compressor.
been told by a freind who has a garage which does car and truck salvage, to get a mini compressor and airgun attachment, he said thats what they use, and it'll be a lot more useful than a simple inflator as i could use it for air tools as well as inflating tyres, so going to look into that idea.
thanks though.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not sure on how much storage in your rv but netto are selling a compressor on Monday for £70--50 ltr tank or if you shop around you can find 25 ltr ones for around £50-- usually come with tyre inflater's
Link Removed
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
hobson,

We have a "pancake style"compressor like this in the garage at home. The wife uses it with her air staple gun and I've used it with an air grease gun and other air tools. I don't know what the equivalent brands or prices are over there, but be sure the compressor produces sufficient pressure and delivers sufficient volume. Ours would be marginal on our coach tyres.

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
try 12 volt shop

I saw just the thing the other day campervan parts shop I think it's called the 12 volts shop (or store) based I think in Cornwall.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back