Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30+
I am a Yorkshireman! so this will explain my query!
When I know that my 'van is dry and all O.K. do I really need to pay £150 just to get a sticker on the side?? Does lack of them affect the value on resale by much. (I missed last years)
Thanks in advance for your advice
Derek and Chris :winky:

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
I hate servicing costs too but I'd always get one done and wouldn't comteplate buying a motorhome that didn't have a full service history. Plus our motorhome warranty would become invalid if we didn't keep the book up to date. I didn't think they just checked for damp though. When we had our caravan serviced they checked all the appliances were functioning correctly and I thought motorhome habitation would be similar. This is only my personal opinion mind I'm certainly no expert.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
On a new MH you need to have the habitation service done to keep the warranty valid.

On a MH out of warranty, it helps when you come to sell the MH plus, the safety checks are for your safety.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I am soon to pick up my motorhome this Wed one of the things i asked for was a habitation certificate , to be honest i havent a clue what this involved ;but have managed to get a copy of the sevice schedule , you can download it from Link Removed I guess its peace of mind and should assure potential buyers should you decide to sell it

Regards

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I am a Yorkshireman! so this will explain my query!
When I know that my 'van is dry and all O.K. do I really need to pay £150 just to get a sticker on the side?? Does lack of them affect the value on resale by much. (I missed last years)
Thanks in advance for your advice
Derek and Chris :winky:

Hi Derek - and a very happy new year to you and Chris, it seems ages since we talked!

We have just had our first habitation check, simply because the motorhome is one year old and it is under warranty. I am afraid we doubted if we needed to have it done and certainly wont when the van is out of warranty. When we decide to sell, then we will of course go to the trouble and expense of having the habitation check, but not otherwise!

If you compare the use of a motorhome with that of say the white van equivalent of what we have, then a service every year (after the warranty period) is also a waste of time and money, just compare the amount of mileage we do in a motorhome with that of a white van!

It might just be the 'Yorkshire' way of looking at things, but I am sure we would rather spend our hard earned money on something tangible rather that somebody ticking boxes and charging the earth for the privilege!

By the way are you going to France and Spain this spring? we are off to Santa Suzanna again in March, will you be in the area??

Ginny and Mike

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
Although you may do less mileage in your van compared to "white van man" some deteriorations are not mileage dependant. For example, brake fluid. This is hygroscopic (ie attracts water) and this occurs whether you do 100 or 100,000 miles per year. Have a look at the base vehicle service schedule and consider which others are time dependant.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here you go -- I think it was first supplied by JCM -- WHICH I COPIED:ROFLMAO::thumb:
Terry

Recommended Annual Habitation Service Check
INTRODUCTION

There is much confusion over the annual habitation service or check for motorhomes, with widely varying prices and standards of work. However a 'standard checklist' is used by many dealers when carrying out this work, but it seems that many owners are not aware of this, or of what checks should be included. We suggest that owners should ask for the 'SMMT Annual Habitation Service Check' to be carried out. Competent owners may wish to use the published checklist when carrying out their own maintenance.

The following guidelines for the checking and servicing of a motorhome's habitation area are taken from the guidance booklet published by the Motorhome Section of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) and the Motorhome Division of The National Caravan Council (NCC). They are © SMMT & NCC and reproduced here with their kind permission. We would like to thank them for providing this information and also thank The Motorhome Information Service for their assistance.

The checks do not cover any part of the base vehicle, although there may be minor overlapping (such as tyre pressures, cab seats, internal lights, battery and windows) in a van conversion. The base vehicle must be serviced in accordance with the chassis manufacturer's instructions.

Reference should also be made to:

1. Any owner's manual or equivalent supplied with the vehicle by the motorhome manufacturer.

2 Appliance manufacturers' leaflets.

3. Driver s handbook or equivalent supplied by the chassis manufacturer.

A vehicle is accepted for service at the dealer's discretion.
Any defects, repairs, adjustments, cleaning or lubrication required will be noted on the check list.
The customer's approval will be obtained before any work is done.

Not all of the equipment mentioned in this manual is fitted as standard to every motorhome

Any work carried out following the check, and the sufficiency of the work in the check itself, is subject to the contract between the customer and the dealer. The National Caravan Council (NCC) & SMMT and their member companies are not part of this contract, and accept no liability in contract, tort or otherwise, other than death or personal injury due to negligence on their part.

SECTION 1
BODY MOUNTING

1.1 BODY TO CHASSIS
Examine all fixings retaining the body to the chassis - this may be direct or through a sub-frame.
Where practical, all fittings should be checked to ensure they are all present and correctly secured.

1.2 BODY TO CAB
Examine joint between body and cab for signs of movement and soundness of sealing media.

1 .3 BODY RETENTION (Dismountables)
Check serviceability and tightness of body retaining gear.
Check serviceability of body support struts and mountings.
(Note - whether it will be necessary to demount the body to check the
body supports must be agreed between dealer and customer).

SECTION 2
WINDOWS

2.1 WINDOWS
Check window glazing rubber or sealing for cracks and general condition.
Check for satisfactory opening and closing.
Check fixing of top hinge rail on top hung windows.
Check for good weather seal when window is closed and latched.
Check catches and stays for satisfactory operation.

SECTION 3
DOORS

3.1 EXTERNAL DOORS
Not including base vehicle doors.

3.1.1 SECURITY
Check that hinges and catches are satisfactory and that, when latched, doors are held securely shut.
Check that keys or internal latches lock the doors correctly.
Check that any device fitted to hold a door in the open position is satisfactory.

3.1.2 SEALING
Check all door seals for cracking and general condition. Check correct closing to give a weather-tight seal.

3.1.3 CHILDPROOF LOCK
Where a door is fitted with a childproof lock, check that an appropriate warning notice is fixed adjacent to the door.
Appropriate warning notices are available from motorhome manufacturers.

3.2 INTERNAL DOORS

3.2.1 SECURITY
Check that hinges and catches are satisfactory and that, when latched, the door is held securely shut.

3.2.2 SAFETY
Check that any device fitted to hold a door in the closed position can be operated from both sides to open the door in an emergency.

SECTION 4
ATTACHMENTS TO CHASSIS OR UNDERBODY

4.1 CORNER STEADIES
Check that attachments to chassis are secure. Ensure steadies work freely and satisfactorily.
Lubricate screw to ensure correct operation.

4.2 FOLDING/RETRACTABLE STEPS
Check that step pivots are satisfactory and not worn. Check that, when closed, the retaining mechanism holds the step securely. If fitted, check warning device is working.

4.3 UNDERFLOOR WATER TANK MOUNTINGS
Check mounting frames are secure to body. Any fastenings that require releasing to remove the tank should be free of rust and operate freely. (Removal, flushing, cleaning and replacing of tanks will be carried out at the prior request of the customer or will be done subsequently with other work).

4.4 SPARE WHEEL
Remove spare wheel. Check for damage. Check tyre pressure.
Check mounting frame for security to body and for secure retention of
spare wheel.

4.5 WHEELBOXES
Check for damage, corrosion, water seepage, signs of tyre rubbing.

SECTION 5
ATTACHMENT TO BODY EXTERIOR

5 1 ROOF LIGHTS
Check security, general condition, and that sealing has not deteriorated.

5.2 ROOF RACKS AND LADDERS
Check security to body and general condition.
Check roof for damage adjacent to rack.

5.3 MOULDINGS, TRIMS
Check security. Check sealing has not deteriorated (see section 6).

5.4 FLUE TERMINALS, AIR VENTS
Check security. Check sealing has not deteriorated.
Check that these are not blocked.

SECTION 6
INTERNAL

6.1 BODY SEEPAGE CHECK
Examine for moisture/water staining of areas under windows, at side of roof and at corners which could indicate water seepage problems.
A moisture meter should be used where appropriate.

6.2 FURNITURE
Check furniture is securely fixed.
Check door hinges, catches and stays for satisfactory operation.

6.3 DINETTE SEAT/BEDS
Check seat bases for security of fixings and for damage.
Make up beds according to manufacturer's instructions and check for
rigidity and safety.

6.4 UPPER BUNKS
Check there is a secure means of access to upper bunks and that, where applicable, protection against falling out and entrapment is provided.

6.5 CURTAINS/BLINDS/NETS
Check track is secure and curtains draw freely without snagging.
Check blinds and/or nets for correct operation.
Check flyscreens in roof lights and air vents.

6.6 CAB SEATS
Where cab seats form part of the living area and/or bed layout they should be checked for security of attachment, smooth and easy operation of seat slides, swivels and seat back operation.

6.7 FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
Check condition and expiry date. If an extinguisher is not fitted, inform the customer of the advisability of such equipment.

6.8 FIRE BLANKET
Check position (should be near cooker).
If one is not present, inform the customer of the advisability of such equipment.

6.9 ADVICE TO OCCUPIERS WARNING NOTICE
Check presence and condition and advise accordingly
The wording and the layout of the notice should be set out as follows:

ADVICE TO USERS

VENTILATION
NO NOT OBSTRUCT THE VENTILATORS WHICH ARE FITTED; YOUR SAFETY DEPENDS ON THEM

IN CASE OF FIRE
1. GET EVERYONE OUT
2. TURN OFF OUTSIDE GAS VALVE OR OIL VALVE (IF FITTED)
3. DISCONNECT THE MAINS ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
4. RAISE THE ALARM AND CALL THE FIRE BRIGADE
5. TACKLE THE FIRE IF SAFE TO DO SO

FIRE PRECAUTIONS

CHILDREN: DO NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE

MEANS OF ESCAPE: MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE LOCATION AND OPERATION OF THE EMERGENCY EXITS, KEEP ALL ESCAPE ROUTES CLEAR

COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS: KEEP THEM CLEAR OF ALL HEATING AND COOKING APPLIANCES

FIRE FIGHTING: PROVIDE, AT LEAST, A 1 KG POWDER FIRE EXTINGUISHER, THAT COMPLIES WITH BS 5423 BY THE MAIN EXIT DOOR, AND A FIRE BLANKET NEXT TO THE COOKER. MAKE YOURSELF FAMILIAR WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS ON YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER AND THE FIRE PRECAUTION ARRANGEMENTS ON THE CARAVAN PARK.

6.10 PORTABLE OR OPEN FLAME HEATING EQUIPMENT
Check for its presence. The customer must be advised against its use.

SECTION 7

ELEVATING ROOFS

7.1 LIFTING MECHANISM
Gas struts or spring struts should be checked for corrosion (particularly on the piston rods of gas struts), smooth operation when operating roof up and down and to ensure that they support the roof when fully up. Check attachment points of struts to body and roof.

7.2 CANVAS SIDE WALLS
Check for satisfactory attachment to body and roof.
Check for splits or holes, particularly at fold lines.
Check that the canvas stows satisfactorily when roof is lowered.
(A waterproofing check will be done at the prior request of the
customer).

7.3 SOLID SIDE WALL
Check sides and end panels fold up and down correctly, that they seal against each other where appropriate and that retaining mechanisms are satisfactory.
Check all hinges for security and freedom from strain.

7.4 LOCKING OF ROOF
It is important to ensure that when the roof is in the travelling position, it is safely and positively locked down. Any locking retaining mechanism should be carefully examined.

SECTION 8
GAS SYSTEMS

8.1 CYLINDERS AND REGULATORS
Establish that the cylinders and regulators are compatible. Butane (blue) cylinders should have a regulator stamped with the pressure 11" WG (28 m bar) and propane (red) cylinders should be stamped 14" WG (37 m bar). Check that the regulator is controlling the gas to the correct pressure for the type of cylinder fitted.
Check cylinder compartment vents and gas drop hole in the floor are free from obstruction.
Check seals on internal doors.
8.2 HOSE AND PIPING
Check any flexible hose is of an approved type. Check its condition and for any evidence of cracking.
Check piping for condition, damage and correct support.
Carry out an overall leak test.

8.3 APPLIANCES
In general, the checking of gas appliances can be divided into the following:

1. Cleaning 4. Flues
2. Operation of controls 5. Flame failure device
3. Correct flame structure 6. Security

8.3.1 CLEANING
Where appropriate, remove cover(s) to gain access to heat exchanger.
Clean away any fluff or foreign matter. Reassemble and test.
Clean flame viewing window.

8.3.2 CONTROLS
Check that all knobs etc. work smoothly and are secure on their spindles.
If gas taps require greasing to ease stiffness, use only approved LPG grease.
Check that appliances can be brought into service using the normal controls.

8.3.3 CORRECT FLAME STRUCTURE
Check that all pilot flames burn quietly and clearly.

Refrigerator: With the refrigerator gas control turned to maximum, the colour of the flame should be predominantly blue.
Instantaneous Water Heating: The main burner flame should be of even height and blue in colour. A flame burning yellow will allow sooting to occur.

Ovens: The oven flame should burn quietly and be of even height, mainly blue/green in colour. If the gas is propane, the flame will normally develop yellow tips as the burner heats up. If the gas is butane, a small amount of yellow tipping will be seen immediately after lighting, increasing as the burner heats up.

Grill Burners: It is normal for the flames on this type of burner to develop yellow tips as it heats up, particularly on butane.

General: A flame lifting away from the burners is an indication of too high a pressure, although it may happen with grill burners whilst the frets are heating up.
A yellow flame will cause sooting and is an indication of too low a pressure.
Providing the regulator and piping have been checked and found satisfactory the above faults should not appear.

8.3.4 FLUES
Flues should be examined for security of fixing and for correct attachment to appliances and flue terminals. They should be free from damage and corrosion.
Check for leakage of flue gases into the vehicle.

8.3.5 FLAME FAILURE DEVICE (FFD)
Where fitted, the FFD should be checked to ensure satisfactory operation. After the appliance has been successfully checked, allow time for the thermocouple to cool.
Attempt to relight the appliance by turning it on without pushing in the gas control knob. (Do not override the FFD). If appliance does not light, FFD is satisfactory.

8.3.6 SECURITY
Check appliance is securely fixed to the vehicle/furniture and will be free from rattles. Where applicable, check that water pipes are satisfactorily attached with no sign of leakage

8.3.7 PROTECTION OF ADJACENT SURFACES
Check that surfaces adjacent to open flame cooking appliances have adequate protection.

8.3.8 INSPECTIONS
It is recommended that inspections are carried out by a qualified fitter
trained to, for example, CORGI (Confederation of Registered Gas Installers) or Calor standards.

SECTION 9
WATER SYSTEM
Before operating the water system, a visual check of the following items may show up an obvious leak source.

9.1 FRESH WATER TANK CONTAINER
Check condition, fill tank and check for leaks.
Check the external filter and filter pipe to tank.
Check for satisfactory venting.
Check condition and presence of filter cap.

9.2 WASTE WATER TANK
Check drain tap is clear and working.
Check condition and presence of drain hose. (The water tank will be drained, flushed, cleaned and charged with a measure of toilet fluid/disinfectant at the prior request of the customer.

9.3 FILTER PUMP
When applicable, remove filter and replace.
Check the in-line pump for security and condition. Remove the
submersible pump from tank, check condition.
Check pump inlet and outlet are clear and not obstructed.
Check delivery hose and electric cable are secure and satisfactory

Operate pump. Check all piping for leaks.
Operate taps and shower. If a hot water system is fitted, it can be checked for leaks etc. using cold water.
(Note - Aerated water from tap could be due to a leak on the suction side of the pump).

With water running through the drain pipes, check for leaks and satisfactory draining of water from sinks etc.

9.6 . COUPLINGS AND FLUIDS.
Check that the appropriate markings are used - blue for fresh water, grey for waste water. Ensure a sealing off cover is supplied for each coupling. Check that filler positions are designated "petrol", "diesel", or "water" as appropriate.

9.7 TOILET WASTE TANK
Check that any fixed tank intended to receive discharge from a toilet is fitted with either a level or full indicator.

SECTION 10
ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS

10.1 EXTRA LOW VOLTAGE 12 VOLTS (excluding vehicle)

10.1.1 BATTERY/IES
Check battery/ies for condition.
Check connections, wires, fuses and relays appertaining to the habitation electrics.

10.1.2 WIRING
Examine all visible wiring.
Check all connections and joints are sound and satisfactory

10.1.3 FUSES/FUSE HOLDERS
Ensure that fuses and fuse holders used to protect the habitation electrics are satisfactory and that fuse ratings are compatible with the circuit appliances being protected.

10.1.4 APPLIANCES
Inspect all appliances for damage, signs of overheating and secure fixing
Function test all appliances.

10.2 MAINS 230 VOLT SYSTEM
It is recommended that the inspection and certification of the 230 volt system be carried out by a qualified electrician who is an approved contractor of the NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) or in membership of the Electrical Contractors Association.

SECTION 11
VENTILATION

11.1 HIGH LEVEL
Check all high level ventilators, including roof lights, are free from obstruction and allow a free flow of air.

11.2 LOW LEVEL
Check all low level ventilators are free from obstruction and allow a free flow of air.
If the ventilator is manually adjustable then ensure mechanism is free and operating correctly

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Apart from the safety and warranty aspects, a new pair of eyes inspecting the MH may spot potential problems that can be nipped in the bud before they become major problems in the future.

Peter

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Although you may do less mileage in your van compared to "white van man" some deteriorations are not mileage dependant. For example, brake fluid. This is hygroscopic (ie attracts water) and this occurs whether you do 100 or 100,000 miles per year. Have a look at the base vehicle service schedule and consider which others are time dependant.

Hello all , and happy new year to you all... just got back yesterday from our break over christmas and new year....:cry:
Picked up on these posts last night so a couple of Q's regarding habitations check as ours is / will be due its first this year. Base vehicle checks /service is nothing to do with hab checks ie checking brake fluid is a service part not hab part .. is that correct. Also depending on which check you have SMMT or NCC do they actually check the flame burn / colour on fridges ?? is the fridge removed for this, and how long does the whole process take approx ?
pete.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Peter

The brake fluid check comes as part of your base vehicle service schedule.
The habitation check is, as it states, a check, Minor things may be carried out, such as battery fluid top up, lubrication of corner steady screws etc. You should be advised of any problems and the cost of repair, ie fridge burner service, before the work is carried out . We had to leave our van with the dealer for the day when ours was carried out. If your van is still under warranty, the habitation check must be carried out to validate it.

OP
OP
Freestyle

Freestyle

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30+
Habitation Checks

:winky:Thanks for all your advice about this. I knew you would leap in to help as always!
You have all given me much food for thought and it is good to see what will be included in the check.
Many, many more thanks to you all.
Teasy! Good to hear from you Hope you are both well. We will not make it to Spain just yet as we set off for New Zealand next weekend! We are doing a motor home exchange, (for the second time)! and will be using the Kiwis 'van for 2 months. They are coming over here to use ours for May and June so we will not be around in the 'van until July but if you get close to us give us a ring and we can get together!
Regards and a Happy New Year to all
Derek and Chris:thumb:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Would I be right in saying it would be a waste of money taking my van for the 3rd base vehicle service to a main Dealer. My thoughts are that you have a 3 year warranty in my case my Van was registered in May 2006 so May 2009 the warranty expires. The only possible benefit I could see is if they identified a fault and I had taken the vehicle for the service before the end of May 2009. In saying that their annual check is so basic I doubt they would spot any serious problems.If you get my drift.:Blush:

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
If you compare the use of a motorhome with that of say the white van equivalent of what we have, then a service every year (after the warranty period) is also a waste of time and money, just compare the amount of mileage we do in a motorhome with that of a white van!

Ginny and Mike

It was to this reply that I addressed my comments re "white van man".

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Say for instance then , speaking hypotheticley of course ?? if your van was just out of warranty base or habitation side.... lets say a month !! and you had a fairley serious fault develop are the manufacture's somtimes honorable and would they fix it. ?
The reason I ask is BMW especially the m/bike side are very good and I mean very good at repairing faults which have just developed outside the warranty period. any views ??

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Peter t

Swift have a very good customer satisfaction policy and a good reputation at the moment, I am sure they would look at any problem you may have sympathetically. As for the base vehicle manufacturer I think you will be looking at a totally different can of worms.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
this is our first new van ,i did not believe in the habitation check but have to have it done to keep the three year warranty , well it went in today as there is a discount in January
cost £IOO .every thing was ok except one leaking winder seal , always wondered why it was drafty in bed next to that window.
the dealer changed the seal under warranty and said
the water could have got in and we all no what happens then.
well i would like to say i now believe in the haditation checks but not the cost lol
i recommend sth yorkshire motorhomes .:thumb:

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Hi Peter t

Swift have a very good customer satisfaction policy and a good reputation at the moment, I am sure they would look at any problem you may have sympathetically. As for the base vehicle manufacturer I think you will be looking at a totally different can of worms.

Hi mate, I may have sent you down the wrong track, my vans less than a year old so no worries at the moment but because all this van stuff is totally new to me and like most things on internet forums so much info at hand at the press of a button, some from the horse's mouth some from the grapevine which is all good stuff. :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back